New home owners credit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New home owners credit

Well I see a lot of people I know that are still here. Its been a long time since I posted but I am wondering if anyone has had any questions concerning the new home owners credit AFTER the home was purchased. My son has a friend who works as a border Patrol agent here in Arizona and he purchased a new home and got the first time home buyers credit. He now finds that he is being reassigned and was thinking about renting the house out. I know a person cannot sell the house for three years or he will have to pay the credit back, but what about renting it out? Any thoughts?
    Thanks
    ken

ยง36 is clear. Dispose of the principal residence or ceases to be the principal residence.

Comment

As I recall, if he sells, his repayment is limited to his gain (remembering to subtract the credit received from the basis), but if he rents it out, he'll have to pay it all back.

A wild thought: check if any of the exceptions for the military, etc. apply here. I think the Foreign Service is included for those exceptions, maybe the Border Patrol fits in there somewhere.

Comment

Working...
      X