Ea Testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ea Testing

Anyone take the new EA test yet? What did you use for study guides? How much memorization of numbers is required? Thinking I would be better off by doing this than the other test plus it gives me an added edge. Many thanks to all who can respond.

I'm interested in some responses too...

Thinking of starting to study for the EA exam. I've read/heard the Gleim materials are really good so I might go that route - but I'm open to other advice
    Maria R., CRTP
    Los Angeles, CA
    Software Used: ProSeries since 2008

Comment

exam materials

I am currently studying for the EA exam. I took Part 2 first even though I thought that would be the most difficult for me, I had more time to study in the summer. I used Gleim which may seem a little pricey. For me it gave me comfort in the guarantee that if I didn't pass I could still have access to the study materials beyond the 1 year. After using it for part 2 I found it to be very thorough and did pass Part 2 on my first try just a couple of weeks ago. I just received this week Part 3 and have not really gotten into it yet so I can't really give much insight on this other than if it is as thorough as Part 2 it should be very good.

Comment

Ea

I took the "old" version, so really can't be specific. But, if it were me and I had to test anyway, then I'd take the EA exam instead of the new test.

Comment

let's clarify the tests involved

Prior to 2006, the IRS provided a written EA exam held once a year at selected locations. Then starting Nov. 2006, they privatized the testing with Prometric, 3 parts of the EA exam for about $100 each per attempt. I am not aware of any change to the Prometric program other than they have mild price increases, and they have a process to check out questions which are continuously added to the question pool which may come up on any given exam.>>>>>>
          Meanwhile, there is another, considerably different, "new" set of testing coming along. That will be the testing required by the IRS for everyone that has a PTIN, presumably less rigorous than the EA testing. I have heard that there might be two levels of the test to keep a PTIN>>>>>
          Also, there was an announcement that EA renewal fees will come out a little bit lower once the IRS ends a current moratorium on EA renewals for those who are now up for renewal. Oh, well, that doesn't apply to me inasmuch as I just got my enrollment renewed this past year.

Comment

Just passed part 1

and it was not as hard as i thought. Now I am getting ready to take part three and feel pretty good at that. I am putting part 2 off till the last it looks the hardest and the area i have the least experience.

I wanted to take the EA exam instead of having to jump through the IRS hoops for the unenrolled preparer.

I used Fast Forward for my study guide seems good the first part passed the first time so will let you know after the parts to see how good it works for them.

Superman

Comment

Originally posted by superman View Post
              and it was not as hard as i thought. Now I am getting ready to take part three and feel pretty good at that. I am putting part 2 off till the last it looks the hardest and the area i have the least experience.

I wanted to take the EA exam instead of having to jump through the IRS hoops for the unenrolled preparer.

I used Fast Forward for my study guide seems good the first part passed the first time so will let you know after the parts to see how good it works for them.

Superman
              I checked out the website for Fast Forward and the sample materials look pretty good and decent pricing. Thanks Superman!
              Maria R., CRTP
              Los Angeles, CA
              Software Used: ProSeries since 2008

Comment

Working...
              X