No announcement yet.

Land Sale Reported On 1099MISC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep we were typing at the same time Saw your response after I hit the reply button.

Thanks
    Dany

Comment

I would complete the return

correctly. Get it in quickly.

This is past the matching stage. My best guess the return will be accepted as filed.

They want your client to get current.

Comment

Simplest solution

If you are content with the correct amounts that should show up on Sch D, I would proceed with all due haste taking that route.

Since the return is likely to get scrutinized anyway, why not just attach a simple statement to the return stating something to the effect "Gross proceeds from sale of land as reported on Sch D were erroneously reported on a Form 1099-MISC" and perhaps attach a copy of that document?

Most tax software also has a built-in worksheet with various entries for line 21 of Form 1040, so you could also choose to enter the Form 1099-MISC number there and at the bottom enter the same as an offsetting negative number and say something like "documentation error - transferred to Schedule D."

As for the Sch C stuff, there are those on these boards who never put any "not in business" stuff on a Sch C in the first place!

FE

Comment

Thank you veritas and FE. I really appreciate yours and the others postings on this matter.

Looks like the majority that posted on this agree to put it on Schedule D and do not use a Schedule C. I've used a Schedule C before for matching purposes when the 1099-MISC was put in the taxpayer id and not in biz (S-Corps). Only done it when it was impossible to get the issuer to change it.

This was a new one for me and it being from 2005 made it even worse. So I will report on Schedule D and include a letter with supporting documents on the land sale and 1099Misc mistake. FE that is a good suggestions on putting it on line 21.

Now only three more years to do after this one First one I have done in awhile that has had so many years passed due... and is actually working with me to get the returns completed. I guess a lien will do that.

Thank you all again
          Dany

Comment

Here is wha tyou should do

I am assuming that the IRS has prepared a return for your client. If this is accurate, you should prepare and file one, ASAP. You should show the land sale on Schedule C and make a corresponding deduction to move it to Schedule D. You should attach a detailed explanation as to why you are doing this and I would include any documentation to prove that the 1099 is in error.

Comment

Also....

Originally posted by Kram BergGold View Post
              I am assuming that the IRS has prepared a return for your client. If this is accurate, you should prepare and file one, ASAP. You should show the land sale on Schedule C and make a corresponding deduction to move it to Schedule D. You should attach a detailed explanation as to why you are doing this and I would include any documentation to prove that the 1099 is in error.
              .... I would love to ask the preparer of the Form 1099-MISC how it was determined that the income from the sale was (apparently) deemed to be "non-employee compensation" in the first place!

FE

Comment

Originally posted by FEDUKE404 View Post
                .... I would love to ask the preparer of the Form 1099-MISC how it was determined that the income from the sale was (apparently) deemed to be "non-employee compensation" in the first place!

FE
                My experience with the folks that do this is they don't read the 1099 MISC instructions and fill it out anyway. Their train of thought is "Well, the person was compensated by our company and he/she is not an employee so obviously it belongs in this box."
                You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Comment

Developer blamed it all on the accountant. "I don't know, the accountant handles all that".
                  So yeah I would not mind talking to the person that filed that form. Developer told client to call the accountant but due to privacy reasons of course he could not get anywhere. The chance they would change it five years later would be slim. So I'll get this and the other returns completed correctly.

I had one client that was issued a 1099-misc under his name. Someone else had filed the return and did not catch it. It was back in 2006. IRS sent letter.
                  Large corporation issued it. Accountant there said "We would change it if we had the forms but we don't and we can't get them." I told my customer I still had the forms. That I have blank 1099s going back to 2000. He asked for some blanks for that year, took them to their accountant, and a corrected one was sent in.

My client said that their accountant could not believe I still had 1099s from that far back. I said "well you see... you never know when you might need them".

Comment

Source of old IRS forms

Originally posted by geekgirldany View Post
                    ....My client said that their accountant could not believe I still had 1099s from that far back. I said "well you see... you never know when you might need them".
                    You should have shown this to the accountant:

FE

Comment

Dany, veritas is right; this is in a CDP hearing. You don't have to worry about matching; this is going to be processed by a human being who can read an attached statement. What you are doing is filing to negate the SFR that has already been filed by the IRS, and the notices that have been ignored by the taxpayer to the point that he is at the stage of a CDP hearing. Just report the income properly on the D, and explain why it isn't on a C with the return. Its very likely you will be having a conference with the CDP officer anyways.

Avoiding matching issues is something we do if we want to avoid an audit based on inaccurately reporting info. This one is way, way past that issue.

Comment

Working...
                      X