Receiving cash donations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Receiving cash donations

I have a heads-up for next years return. Clients house burned to the ground, community pitched in and donationed items and cash. Since they are not a charitable organization, I report total value and cash as "other income". Just seems right, can't find anything on IRS website that talks about this type of situation.

Am I missing something?

Cathe

I think it would just be gifts.

The donors are getting no tax deduction for this so I do not think this would be income to the recipient.

Dusty

Comment

Ooh!

OOH! I like that thought. Hadn't gone there in my mind. It is so different looking at it from this side of the fence.

Cathe

Comment

Originally posted by cathe View Post

can't find anything on IRS website that talks about this type of situation.
        How about pub 17, p. 94- "property you receive as a gift is not included in your income." Seems treatable as a gift, don't you think?

Comment

Absolutely!

Absolutely! Thanks all!

Cathe

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty2004 View Post
            The donors are getting no tax deduction for this so I do not think this would be income to the recipient.

Dusty
            Unless there has been a 503(c) trust setup and giving receipts with an EIN on the receipt, that would be a very doubtful deduction.

I would think the items received are more along the lines of a gift in terms of the IRS regs.

Comment

Working...
            X