Client Copy of Efiled Return

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Client Copy of Efiled Return

When you have the 8879 signed by the taxpayer and the ERO, then efile, does the signed 8879 replace the signature page of the 1040? or does the IRS require the preparer to provide a SIGNED copy of the tax return to the client? The preparer's PTIN number would be on it.

We have always signed the client's copy of the 1040 and also give them a copy of the 8879. I know that the 8879 is necessary since without it, it is just like sending in an unsigned return.

Having a discussion with the individuals who are merging with our firm. They say they never sign the client copy of the return...."tell me one good reason why we have to".

Have attempted to find reg, etc about this, Have read the Tax Book only finding info about preparer penalties for those who do not sign returns or keep copies for a period of time.

never sign the client copy.

we are equired to sign the filing copy only, in the case of efiled, that is the 8879.
    AJ, EA

Comment

Due Diligence

This issue didn't come up BEFORE the merger?
      Uncle Sam, CPA, EA. ARA, NTPI Fellow

Comment

Doesn't your software print your name (signature) on the 1040? The only thing that needs an additional signature is the 8879 and we must have the client sigs before filing.
        Sandy >^..^<

Comment

Another option

While I understand the issues re the copy of the signed Form 8879, would this approach ever be valid:

Many of my clients request "copies" of their tax returns, for various reasons. (OK, some just lose the originals....)

Is there anything incorrect with providing them a copy of the Form 1040, plainly marked "COPY" in large letters, but signed at the bottom by me? (Virtually all of my clients efile.) This solves two problems: 1) Someone going "what the heck is this Form 8879 for?" / It's not signed!!! or 2) Not providing the client with a copy that "anyone" could have printed.

In the past I have also used letterhead and stated something along the lines of "the attached is a copy of the 20xx tax return prepared for client x" but that is awkward. Of course, that was also much more appropriate in the dark ages when the client bore the responsibility of signing/mailing the tax returns.

Ideas welcomed....

FE

Comment

Originally posted by FEDUKE404 View Post
            Is there anything incorrect with providing them a copy of the Form 1040, plainly marked "COPY" in large letters, but signed at the bottom by me? (Virtually all of my clients efile.) This solves two problems: 1) Someone going "what the heck is this Form 8879 for?" / It's not signed!!! or 2) Not providing the client with a copy that "anyone" could have printed.

Ideas welcomed....

FE
            There is nothing incorrect with doing it that way. All my client copies go out with the watermark "client copy" on them. This is easy to do in most software programs.
            We are not required to sign, and actually are told it is best not to sign any other than the original filing copy. The client does not need a signed copy of the 8879. That is in your file.(paper or digital). You do not know what happens to the paper copy once it leaves your office and have no control over the changes someone might try to make on it, so you do not want your signature on that copy.
            As someone stated earlier, you can have the software print your name on the signature line and that computer generated signature is valid. But I still do not allow that to happen on my client copies.
            AJ, EA

Comment

Massachusetts requires that a *signed* copy of the M-8453 (the MA equivalent to the 8879) be given to the taxpayer. Rather than trying to remember or explain which forms require signatures and which don't, I just sign everything.

I can't imagine getting into trouble because of someone making changes to the form that leaves the office, because we still have the original with the taxpayer's signature. If anything, I tend to err the other way: If a client requests copies at a later date, I'll write "Copy printed <date>" in the paid preparer signature area, so that no one can claim that the return should have had a signature in that space.

Comment

Working...
              X