Practitioner Priority Office

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Practitioner Priority Office

Interesting incident today; client needed 2006/2007 tax returns and I called PPO.

First agent said they could fax "Account" transcripts for both years but "Tax Return" transcripts for 2007 only. Said they only did 'em for three years back (07-08-09) and we'd have to mail/fax a 4506-T to get 2006 mailed in 7-15 days.

Okay, he faxes '07 to us but...I don't want to wait two weeks and I'm thinkin' "This outfit's probably like all the rest of IRS -- that is, it just depends on who you talk to." So I ring 'em up again, get a nice lady, ask about faxing '06. She says "No problem," pulls it up, and we're all done in no time. Two minutes after hanging up the fax is coming through.

Unfortunately, only the first three of seven pages print before the IRS fax cuts off. Fortunately, she gave me her private number in case of problems, but before I could dial it she sends the last four pages on her own. I call anyway and tell her what a competent, helpful, great agent she is. She's appreciative, so am I (very), and all's well that ends well.

E Services

Sandy

Comment

Not Everyone Likes E Services

Those among us who grew up using computers and particularly those who grew up using the internet, cannot expect to understand the deep seated antipathy towards computers felt by many of us who learned to type on manual typewriters. When I signed up to learn to do tax returns I was told late in the process that the firm was going to computerize for the upcoming 1992 season. I was told that I would be required to attend instruction in the use of the computers but that I would be afforded the option of preparing returns without them. I chose that option and I was later that season told that they were sorry but I would have to either use the computers or separate from employment. This was on a Friday and I had Saturday and Sunday off. I negotiated for the right to keep using paper and pencil the rest of that day and I promised on Monday to come to work either carrying my resignation letter or willing to use the computers. After much soul searching I chose to use the wretched computers but to this day if it were feasible I would go back to pencil and paper.

I have tried e services and I think my account is still valid but I plan to not change my password and let it lapse. I know that I average about ten minutes to pull a transcript on E Services and about an hour to pull one off the PPL and longer than that if the first rep I get is not a good person. I'll take those negatives when I get in return the ability to do a task without having to use the wretched computer.

Comment

getting transcripts

Originally posted by Black Bart View Post

I don't want to wait two weeks and I'm thinkin' "This outfit's probably like all the rest of IRS -- that is, it just depends on who you talk to." So I ring 'em up again, get a nice lady, ask about faxing '06. She says "No problem," pulls it up, and we're all done in no time. Two minutes after hanging up the fax is coming through.

I have seen that it does vary how the Practitioner Priority Line, or other, IRS personnel will respond to requests for necessary transcripts. It seems to me that it depends a lot upon the reason which may be brought up that the taxpayer needs to get the transcript, not to mention the way that I and the taxpayer relate with the IRS person. Sometimes the IRS person will indeed fax straight to the tax professional's office, and other times they will put it into the "Transcript Delivery System" which will make 3 attempts to transmit the fax sometime during the next 24 hours. It is not necessarily a situation that I myself want the information in less than two weeks; it usually has much more to do with providing more expeditious tax administration in order to better serve the IRS and the taxpayer.

In some instances the IRS personnel will insist that a written authorization, Power of Attorney or Tax Information Authorization, must get into the CAF file. In other instances, they will allow a copy of that document to be faxed right away directly to them. In other instances, the IRS personnel will accept the verbal authorization by the taxpayer on the phone with me.

Comment

Working...
        X