Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Medical Grocery Shopping?

Here it comes...

"My son was diagnosed with food allergies and it is going to be very expensive to feed him! Can I deduct the special food I have to buy?"

I can see it now... I'll get every grocery store receipt she ever had.

So, my knee jerk reaction was "No. There is no way you could justify groceries for the deduction."

She said the store where she shops told her the food was tax deductible! I said, then pay for it in pre-tax dollars and justify it to your insurance company.

I know, I know, not a good answer... and I did tell her I'd research it further.

The "off" season brings the "problem children" out of the closets!

What do you think about the food? I know if the doctor prescribes, you can deduct... but groceries? Really?
    "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

I don't have the cite. But, I remember years ago, (back in the late 90's) we had a situation like this. Due to the person's medical condition, he could only drink a special liquid food supplement. No food t all. It was decided that all that would be deductible would be the cost of the special food over what it would cost to eat regular food.

So, you might tell your client this idea. It turned out that it only cost a few dollars more per day for the special food over regular food for our client. So, if the arguement could be won about deducting special food, that is all that would be deductible. Even business travelers have to cut the costs of their food 50% to be deductble. I can't see anyway that all of the costs would be deductible. Everyone has to eat. And IRS says that's a personal expense.

Tell the store employees they need to get a PTIN # before they start giving tax advice!
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Comment

amen

"Tell the store employees they need to get a PTIN # before they start giving tax advice" OR we will start turning THEM in to the IRS! ha

Comment

Here Here......

Originally posted by luke View Post
        "Tell the store employees they need to get a PTIN # before they start giving tax advice" OR we will start turning THEM in to the IRS! ha
        That also goes for the Bank Teller, Plumber, Seamstress, Exterminator, etc...

Comment

ESPECIALLY, the bank tellers.

Comment

Celiac

Originally posted by Possi View Post
            Here it comes...

"My son was diagnosed with food allergies and it is going to be very expensive to feed him! Can I deduct the special food I have to buy?"

I can see it now... I'll get every grocery store receipt she ever had.

So, my knee jerk reaction was "No. There is no way you could justify groceries for the deduction."

She said the store where she shops told her the food was tax deductible! I said, then pay for it in pre-tax dollars and justify it to your insurance company.

I know, I know, not a good answer... and I did tell her I'd research it further.

The "off" season brings the "problem children" out of the closets!

What do you think about the food? I know if the doctor prescribes, you can deduct... but groceries? Really?
            I haven't looked up these Rev.Ruling, you might see if they apply to your case

Revenue Ruling 55-261 Revenue Ruling 76-80

Cohen 38 TC 387 67 TC 481

Fleming TC MEMO 1980 583

Van Kalb TC MEMO 1978 366

These are use for Medical deduction for special diet for Celiac disease.

Comment

I've seen Celiac disease cases. Cost of special food over the cost of regular food is deductible as medical expenses. Need a doctor's prescription or letter. There's actually a lot more gluten-free stuff available now that there is more talk about food allergies & celiac in particular.

Comment

Thanks for everything...

... the laughs and the information!

I'll look up the rulings and read them tonight.
                "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

Comment

Working...
                X