How do you deliver the forms?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you deliver the forms?

When you do someone's taxes, how do you physically deliver to them a copy of the return? Do you just put it in an envelope? A special tax organizer envelope? Wrap it in a folder? Stuff it in a personalized folder? Bind it into a book?

Why do you think that's the best method over just slapping a big label on a brown envelope and stuffing everything (including their forms) in there for safe keeping and easy filing? (my method) I'm thinking of upgrading to basic folders where you physically staple the return into the folder. (I'd still put a label on the outside with my personal contact info so I'm not sure it's better)

I like the Tenenz slip sheets. Price is pretty reasonable and shipping is fantastic.

I use ATX and I print the cover sheet as I'm printing the return, then just staple everything right inside. I prefer the blue, although years ago I was partial to the burgundy for some reason. They make slip sheet folders compatible with all major software.

Tangible Values ATX Slip sheet folders and envelopes are 100% guarnateed to work with your software.
    "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

I use locally printed folders, booklet-style, with my name/address/phone/fax/logo printed on them which I designed. It is slightly larger than 8 1/2 X 11 and the return is stapled inside, with all the documents (W-2's etc) also stapled to the inside back cover. It all goes in a larger envelope I order from Greatland specifically for tax returns, which has a place for the name of the TP and tax year entered on the front. (They have several versions.) If I have to mail those, I use USPO Priority Mail flat rate envelopes. I also use a 9 X 13 window mailing envelope for some simple returns which says "Tax Return Documents" on it.

Comment

As a *.pdf

Originally posted by Roberts View Post
        When you do someone's taxes, how do you physically deliver to them a copy of the return? Do you just put it in an envelope? A special tax organizer envelope? Wrap it in a folder? Stuff it in a personalized folder? Bind it into a book?

Why do you think that's the best method over just slapping a big label on a brown envelope and stuffing everything (including their forms) in there for safe keeping and easy filing? (my method) I'm thinking of upgrading to basic folders where you physically staple the return into the folder. (I'd still put a label on the outside with my personal contact info so I'm not sure it's better)
        My preferred method is to send them an encrypted, password protected *.pdf file. Takes a couple of keystrokes and less than a minute. A paper copy in an inexpensive folder is a minimum of $25 more.
        Christopher Mewhort, EA
        mewhorttax.com

Comment

I use Nicky's CPA folders. They are of nice plastic, and have pockets for their copies. I put a slip sheet in the front cover pocket, with their name, year, and my information, with a nice border. People love them, and they last. AND the only cost 95 cents a piece, not mater how many you order (includes shipping). Contact them and they will send you a sample. Comes in about 12 colors.

Comment

I use heavy booklet folders with dual pockets. Clients' copy of tax returns goes in the right side, their W-2, etc. go in the left pocket. Folder has business information on the front and the tax year and a patriotic design of the American flag. Kinda reminds them of why they pay the taxes and it's easily recognized in the jumble of whatever 'filing' system they use at home.
            "A man that holds a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way." - Mark Twain

Comment

Folders

I use a comb binder. Cover imprinted Tax Return and date. Tax return and all related documents brought by client are punched and inserted in binder.

I feel looks the most professional of all the methods I have used (folders, envelopes, etc)

Comment

Client copy

I e-mail them as PDFs in most cases. If a client has no e-mail or has no printer, I will mail them a copy, but without any fancy folder.
                If someone picks up the return, I have some clear plastic bags into which I insert the return and all supporting papers.

Comment

I use Folders

I have and continue to use "twin pocket Oxford folders". I have a large self adhesive label for which I print the tax year in very large font and my name, address phone, fax, website etc. Tax related documents go in the left pocket and I "electric staple" the tax return together and place it in the right folder. I do not staple to the folder. The reason is so many of my tax clients have and continue to refinance therefore the lender needs to make copies of their tax returns otherwise they are calling me to fax or email copies of their tax returns. Most of my clients like that electric stapler I have.

Comment

how we present ourselves to our client

All of these specifics which you all are providing go to show that the client packet we deliver is how we present ourselves to the client. Also, the client packet serves as a reference of what documents were used in preparing the return and a convenient place to find a copy of the return when needed later.

One of my competitors, a large franchising outfit, gives clients some really disgusting packets which consist of nothing but big long rambling worksheets that make it like pulling teeth to find out how any given return was prepared. I get the impression that those clients don't even get the IRS tax forms for their tax return. Above and beyond my displeasure when I see the packets from X-Y, I would never want to end up being a client of X-Y.

Comment

I also feel that giving them a nice looking product is extremely important. I have had a lot of people remark about how nice their folder and copy of their return is. I have even had some that say "You are proud of what you do, arn't you? And I answer yes I am. Impressions are important. Don't look cheap, look like you are proud.

Comment

Working...
                      X