Mileage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mileage

I am a self employed carpenter and work all over the place. This is the first year I am self employed. I always come back home and store my equipment and thats where I do my phone calls and paperwork. Can I call my home my principal place of work and deduct the mileage even if I'm only working there a small part of the day? A friend of mine said I had to have a office to deduct the mileage and there cannot be any personal stuff in it. Is this true?

You can only deduct your mileage from your home if it is a qualified home office. This means it is used regularly & EXCLUSIVELY for business. The IRS is very strict about the exclusively. See IRS Pub 587 - Business Use of Your Home for more info.

Otherwise mileage from your home to your first place of work is considered commuting. If you leave Job #1 and go to Job #2 during the day, that is business mileage.

Comment

Exclusive use

This test is met if an area of the home is only used for business. It can be a room or other separately identifiable space. The space does not need to be marked off by a permanent partition.

Matt
      I would put a favorite quote in here, but it would get me banned from the board.

Comment

Although

if it was marked off that would HELP. Maybe in RED paint or should it be BLACK??

Comment

Red or Black?

Red if your business is losing money, Black if it is profitable.
          I would put a favorite quote in here, but it would get me banned from the board.

Comment

Working...
          X