Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An additional comment

Originally posted by outwest View Post
    with some care, you can use msconfig to turn off background programs that hog resources at startup. Typical extras include various messenger programs & media players. Also background updaters for Adobe, Quickbooks and so on. (this will mean you need to check for updates manually though)

Click Start -> run and type "msconfig", click the startup tab and uncheck the extras. When you restart, the changes will take effect. Being somewhat comfortable with this, I tend to do several at once, but you might want to do one at a time or have a tech do the project. The changes are easily reversed. I've seen this make a dramatic improvement in speed.

You didn't mention how much ram you have, but bumping to 3 gigs will help.

FWIW, everyone here is really liking their quad core Win 7 machines...
    In Windows 7 you can use the windows symbol on your keyboard +R to get to the run command. I was surprised at how many things were checked for loading.

Peachie

Comment

Wow, what an out poor of suggestions! All very good points, all followed by me religiously. I never, ever click on any link, not even the links coming from posters on this board. I had very bad experiences in the past, like clicking in panic on a virus fix warning and, thereby getting a virus.

I have had too many different protection programs on my computer in the past causing my system too crash and one program thinking the other is a virus. I feel I have a good mix now, and I will upgrade to the paid version of Advanced System Care. This is an awesome program that even "vaccinates" your computer. First time one uses this it tells you you have 20,000 plus problems. Good I was warned that this would happen, otherwise I would have shot myself on the spot.

Anyway, I found some more startups I don't need and the computer is faster already. IE is 8, but I try to use Firefox whenever possible.

Thanks to everyone.

Comment

Windows 7 - DIVE IN!! The waters GREAT!

Originally posted by Gretel View Post
        I am hanging on to my XP like dear like. Unfortunately my computer is in it's 5th year and getting very slow. I have 3 options:
        1. Reinstall my operating system and then install only what I need now. I probably can backup and use current setting for some applications (How exactly is that done? I probably can use my Acronis Backup program for this)
        2. Switch to Windows 7 - How do I find out which of my hardware and software are compatible?
        3. Buy a new Windows 7 computer and install XP again (I have an extra OEM copy) and then install my applications. Any way to copy settings or does everything than need to be done from scratch?
        I LOVE WIndows 7 - I have been using it at home / office prior to commercial release. I did NOT do that with Vista! One of the great things about WIn7 is that it IS COMPATIBLE. You do NOT have to run in a virtual XP environment 99% of the time. You can run in compatability mode (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...ion-of-Windows) which allows you to pick the older version of WIndows. Check out the link and you will see.

Yes - ReInstalling programs - totally annoying! WAY WAY TOO TRUE. But - the fresh install at the same time guarantees that your machine will be clean running & FAST. I recommend the following approach.
        1) Buy a new hard drive (Tiger Direct or CompUSA [same company] or NewEgg.com) for about $50 - No less than 7200rpm..
        2) Make that your new drive.
        3) Install Win7 on the new drive.
        4) Make the original drive a 2nd drive. This will give you an in place backup drive and give you time to make sure you didn't loose any of your old stuff.

You can also use the 2nd drive as your Data drive. This separates the system/programs & data. This will help the system run a bit faster. More heads are better than one!
        Also, you can encrypt the data drive (IRS happiness) . Then when you backup your data you only have to backup the data drive first. Software is an optional. Seriously - Data is the key item right? Unless (and this is important) your data only works with a CERTAIN version of the software (some jacka$$es make software like that). So, it's important to know exactly what version of software you have installed. Luckly most tax software does NOT do that.

As for comaptability - I have an old (about 5 years old) P4 system with a 1.8 ghz processor and originally had 512 mb of memory - WIn7 installed Great and ran relatively fine. I did upgrade to 1gig and it's even better. Here's are some compatability links.

Win7 Compatability Checker (from MS): http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Win7 Home Page: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/default.aspx
        Here you will find 1st hand info & h/w & s/w compatabiltiy lists.

Note: Though 64bit has GREAT abilities there's one thing to know. 64 bit takes MORE memory to run 32 bit programs (it has to emulate 32 bit). Most software is still 32bit. It will be for some time. However, 64 bit machines CAN address more memory - You can have 128 gigs of memory if money is not important. But I'm telling you it runs great with 2-4 gigs of memory.

Tell you what - I'll put together some notes on System Maintenance and Best Practices and post a link here. This way we can all get ourselves ready for the pending insanity.
        Matthew Jones
        Tax Preparation
        Computer Consultant

Tax Season is here!
        Make sure everything is working, extra ink or toner is available, Advil in top drawer!

Comment

Thanks, MAJ. Great information. By now my system is running OK again. I already had made up my mind to not change anything. But now I am thinking again.

I am not sure it would be a good idea to just replace the harddrive. If I switch over to XP I think I would like to buy a new computer. Addition benefit is that I will always have an XP computer for the old tax programs and don't need to reinstall on the new computer.

I keep thinking and yes, a list with best practices will be good for all of us.

Thanks again.

Comment

Defragmentation

The Disk Defragmentation that comes with windows (while good) is limited. It is actually licensed from Diskeeper Corp. They make a full scale version that does a little bit more. Worth the long term investment.

Key items to consider.
            If your computer suited you before (it was slow) then most likely it can still be.
            Of course we all want new toys and I am at the tops of that list.

Cleaning it up and maintaining it is the most important. Like your car. Take care of it - it will take care of you.

Virus Software - Very Important.
            Malware Software - Just as important these days.
            Security Updates - Very Important.
            NOT RUNNING AS "GOD"/Administrator - PRICELESS!! I cannot say this enough.

If you don't leave your keys in the ignition and the engine running there's a much less change that your computer - Oops - I mean CAR will be stolen. In essence that's what you are doing when you Run with FULL rights.

HARK: I heark there's a new Virus in the midst. Prays specifically on banking data.
            There was a new feed - Check this out. - ZEUS!? It'll go by a # of names I am sure!

Philadelphia news, weather, traffic and sports from FOX 29, serving Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Delaware. Watch breaking news live or see the latest videos from programs like Good Day Philadelphia.
            Matthew Jones
            Tax Preparation
            Computer Consultant

Tax Season is here!
            Make sure everything is working, extra ink or toner is available, Advil in top drawer!

Comment

Working...
            X