Norton 360 - Taxbook - Threat site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Norton 360 - Taxbook - Threat site

My Norton 360 Virus software just started showing the TaxBook site as a threat.
    Somewhere on the site (most likely a recent post) there's an embedding link to a bad site. nemohuildiin.ru - Obviously off-shore.

Thought I should bring this to our attention. Careful clicking on a link - but sure to look into the lower left corner of the browser to verify if what it says on the link is the same place it's really going to.....

Norton Rating
    CAUTION Site Owner? Click here
    thetaxbook.com

Summary
    •Computer Threats: 1
    •Identity Threats: 0
    •Annoyance factors: 0

Total threats on this site: 1

•Community Reviews: 0

Facebook Twitter Google buzz Email

Web sites rated "Caution" may have a small number of threats and annoyances, but are not considered dangerous enough to warrant a red "Warning". Proceed with caution.
    The Norton rating is a result of Symantec's automated analysis system. Learn more.
    The opinions of our users are reflected separately in the community rating on the right.

General Info
    Web Site Location United States of America

Norton Safe Web has analyzed thetaxbook.com for safety and security problems. Below is a sample of the threats that were found.
    Threat Report
    Total threats found: 1

Embedded Link To Malicious Site (what's this?)
    Threats found: 1
    Here is a complete list:

Threat Name: Embedded link to malicious site nemohuildiin.ru
    Matthew Jones
    Tax Preparation
    Computer Consultant

Tax Season is here!
    Make sure everything is working, extra ink or toner is available, Advil in top drawer!

Received

I received the same on Friday. It shows as not a trusted site.
    Last edited by Redneck; 08-09-2010, 09:12 AM. Reason: add more

Comment

My message at the top of the message board says "TAKE CARE, SOME POTENTIALLY MALICIOUS CONTENT DETECTED".
      You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Comment

Buried in a link some posted most likely

The bad content is mostl ikely buried in a link recently posted. Just need to scan the messages since Thursday (I suppose) and look for links. Run the cursor over the link without clicking and you should see the REAL link in the bottom. That message should be edited or deleted to address the foul link.
        Matthew Jones
        Tax Preparation
        Computer Consultant

Tax Season is here!
        Make sure everything is working, extra ink or toner is available, Advil in top drawer!

Comment

More info

Advisory provided by Google
          Safe Browsing
          Diagnostic page for thetaxbook.com

What is the current listing status for thetaxbook.com?

Site is listed as suspicious - visiting this web site may harm your computer.

Part of this site was listed for suspicious activity 3 time(s) over the past 90 days.

What happened when Google visited this site?

Of the 296 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 10 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 2010-08-08, and the last time suspicious content was found on this site was on 2010-08-08.

Malicious software includes 8 scripting exploit(s).

Malicious software is hosted on 7 domain(s), including webservicessl.ru/, nemohuildiin.ru/, 109.196.134.0/.

3 domain(s) appear to be functioning as intermediaries for distributing malware to visitors of this site, including nemohuildiin.ru/, 109.196.134.0/, webservicessl.ru/.

This site was hosted on 1 network(s) including AS33070 (RMH).

Has this site acted as an intermediary resulting in further distribution of malware?

Over the past 90 days, thetaxbook.com did not appear to function as an intermediary for the infection of any sites.

Has this site hosted malware?

No, this site has not hosted malicious software over the past 90 days.

How did this happen?

In some cases, third parties can add malicious code to legitimate sites, which would cause us to show the warning message.

Next steps:

* Return to the previous page.
          * If you are the owner of this web site, you can request a review of your site using Google Webmaster Tools. More information about the review process is available in Google's Webmaster Help Center.

Updated 8 hours ago

©2008 Google - Google Home

Comment

Any Fix In Sight?

Any work from TMI on when this site will be clean again. I was totally blocked by Firefox. If I asked it to ignore, I got to a somewhat rearranged home page with absolutely no way to get to this message board. I discovered that by using IE, I can get here; but I go through lots of warnings. I remember this happening before, but it was fixed within a day.

Comment

Make the call..

Originally posted by Lion View Post
              Any work from TMI on when this site will be clean again. I was totally blocked by Firefox. If I asked it to ignore, I got to a somewhat rearranged home page with absolutely no way to get to this message board. I discovered that by using IE, I can get here; but I go through lots of warnings. I remember this happening before, but it was fixed within a day.
              Did anyone contact them? I guess I should - I posted on it.. Hmm.... Gotta dig the # out.. They could be behind in monitoring the posts..
              Matthew Jones
              Tax Preparation
              Computer Consultant

Tax Season is here!

Comment

It's Back!

I did email them Sunday or Saturday or whenever I discovered the issue. But right now I was able to get in, even on Firefox, and without any dire-sounding messages. Thanks, everyone, for suggestions and for letting me know that it wasn't me.

Comment

Maybe

May be just a co-incidence, but I had 2 MalWare's Show on 8/8 and have not been on the board since then. I am not going to post what happened to me inspite of my Anti-virus software and precautions.

So I guess there is an imbedded link somewhere here and if we open, we are in trouble. I do believe that TMI "The Tax Book" is doing all that it can to correct - Just that it is taking some time, as someone or several people brought the issues forward in a post a few weeks ago.

As of Monday 8/9/10 I am still receiving warnings from my Google and other Browsers

Sandy
                  Last edited by S T; 08-10-2010, 12:48 AM.

Comment

Symbol

Yes, Firefox now lets me on, or maybe it was Norton, but has replaced The Tax Book symbol in my bookmarks with a big red minus sign! I guess it still wants me to be careful.

Comment

I got a horrible thought that the site I put on an earlier thread could be responsible? It was out of the country. Could that do it? Anyway I deleted it.

But my Norton didn't tell me of any danger.
                      JG

Comment

I was wondering the same thing about a pdf that I posted on another thread during this time period. This crossed my mind when the comment was made about a "recent link". I don't know enough about these things to say for sure, but I was told by someone I trust that it couldn't be my pdf. I'd sure like to know whether or not that is correct.
                        "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Originally posted by JG EA View Post
                          I got a horrible thought that the site I put on an earlier thread could be responsible? It was out of the country. Could that do it? Anyway I deleted it.
                          But my Norton didn't tell me of any danger.
                          From what I read, I think it was a Russian site. It would have ended in .ru.

Comment

Status Update

Unfortunately thetaxbook.com became the target of a malicious hacker. Fortunately the hacker failed to post malicious links on our website. However, Google and Norton detected signs of malicious software and flagged our site. Our site has been cleaned and additional security measures have been taken to avoid future attacks. We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.

Regards,
                            Tax Materials, Inc.

Comment

Thanks

Good to hear from Admin. A few days passed with an uneasy silence from TMI, and we appreciate the info and very happy this is resolved.

It is a shame that resouces have to be spent in keeping a site clean and safe nowadays. Thanks to TMI for this and for providing this message board.

Comment

Working...
                              X