S Corporation - Late Filing Penalty?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S Corporation - Late Filing Penalty?

Since an S-Corp passes it's income/loss thru to shareholder's, in what situation would the 5% late filing penalty apply?

Originally posted by Zee
    Since an S-Corp passes it's income/loss thru to shareholder's, in what situation would the 5% late filing penalty apply?
    I've never seen the IRS go after an S Corp for that, but I suppose they could. They will assess the penalty against a partnership, but there is a safe harbor for that and the penalty is easily abated.

Comment

Penalty usually .....

..... comes from the state..........
      This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Yep, Virginia hits you for $100 if you file late.

Comment

S corporations are subject to all kinds of taxes at the entity level. There is the Excess Net Passive Income Tax, Built-In Gains Tax, Investment Credit Recapture Tax, and the LIFO Recapture Tax. If The S corporation files late and did not make estimated tax payments to cover these taxes, the 5% per month late filing penalty kicks in. See TTB, page 19-10.

Comment

There is also a $50 penalty per K-1 not provided to each shareholder and penalties are increased if intentionally disregarded (IRCĀ§6722). Small Business Quickfinder page D-1.

Comment

Working...
            X