Financial Reform

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Financial Reform

So far, there is not a wealth of printed articles about the financial reform bill passed a week or two ago, so I am hearing a bunch of stuff that may or may not be true. Even if it is true, it could be overhyped.

#1 The ban on banks investing in derivitives is carefully crafted so as not to tamper with the rights of the five largest banks (who own over $8 trillion in derivitives) to continue to do so.

#2 The big banks (such as the oft-mentioned Bank of America - John H) are sick and tired of implementing onerous and confiscatory policies on their depositors, and then having these depositors upstart their own community banks so they can avoid these practices. The new law essentially makes it impossible for these smaller community banks to compete.

Not a lot of tax subject in the above, so this might be considered Non-Topic. But as preparers we are hard-pressed to be somewhat knowledgeable. Many of my clients are getting to the point where they don't trust bankers any more than attorneys.

As I understand the new incentive for smaller banks to make more loans to small businesses will be funded by requiring the banks to issue preferred stock to the US Treasury. If that's true it sure gives me the creeps.
    In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
    Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

Total Takeover

Originally posted by DaveO View Post
      As I understand the new incentive for smaller banks to make more loans to small businesses will be funded by requiring the banks to issue preferred stock to the US Treasury. If that's true it sure gives me the creeps.
      Yikes DaveO!! In other words, another step in the rather-obvious accession to a complete takeover of our economy by government and big institutions. Why even bother with small businesses?

Comment

Originally posted by DaveO View Post
        That was certainly part of last year's bank bail out scheme, but included in this new
        'reform"?
        Surely not.
        ChEAr$,
        Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

A person could probably read this more than one way.

The bigger banks have been buying their warrants back but this seems a step in the other direction.
          In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
          Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

Working...
          X