2011 & Health Benefits being taxed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2011 & Health Benefits being taxed

Has anyone heard about 2011 Health Benefits supplied by your employers becoming a taxable item?

A friend sent this email and though I'll research it I thought I'd throw it out here for discussion and see what's been bounced around. Sorry - I didn't search the board yet.

2011 W-2 Tax Forms and Obamacare

If this doesn't get to you, then check your pulse. You may be a flat line...

Should you want to verify this, go to http://www.thomas.gov/, enter "HR 3590"
    in the search box and look for "CRS Summaries." This is what you'll find.

Title IX Revenue Provisions—Subtitle A: Revenue Offset
    "(Sec. 9002) Requires employers to include in the W-2 form of each employee
    the aggregate cost of applicable employer-sponsored group health coverage
    that is excludable from the employee's gross income (excluding the value of
    contributions to flexible spending arrangements)."

Starting in 2011—next year—the W-2 tax form sent by your employer will be
    increased to show the value of whatever health insurance you are provided.
    It doesn't matter if you're retired. Your gross income WILL go up by the amount
    of insurance your employer paid for. So you’ll be required to pay taxes on a larger
    sum of money that you actually received. Take the tax form you just finished for
    2009 and see what $15,000.00 or $20,000.00 additional gross income does to
    your tax debt. That's what you'll pay next year. For many it puts you into a
    much higher bracket. This is how the government is going to buy insurance for
    fifteen (15) percent that don't have insurance and it's only part of the tax increases,
    but it's not really a "tax increase" as such, it a redefinition of your taxable income.

Also, go to Kiplinger's and read about the thirteen (13) tax changes for 2010 that
    could affect you.

Why am I sending you this? The same reason I hope you forward this to every
    single person in your address book. People have the right to know the truth because
    an election is coming in November. So vote intelligently, based on your values.
    But also adjust your tax withholding, or increase your savings, so that you aren't
    surprised and put in a jam when your federal income taxes are due on April 15, 2012.

Fight organized crime! Re-elect no one.
    Matthew Jones
    Tax Preparation
    Computer Consultant

Tax Season is here!
    Make sure everything is working, extra ink or toner is available, Advil in top drawer!

Emails are circulating

As I understand it, yes 2012 W-2's will contain the employer provided health care insurance, however, it won't be considered taxable income. so maybe box 14

See link http://www.allbusiness.com/legal/tax...4665810-1.html
    Find out how employee health benefits will be taxed and how employees will be affected.

Sandy

Comment

Sandy is correct. The new law requires that the information be reported on the W-2, similar to the way non-taxable 401(k) contributions are reported. The information is then used by the employee for the various programs that exist under the new law dealing with health care reform. One purpose of the new reporting requirement is to prove the employee has health coverage, since everyone will be required to have health insurance in the future, or pay a penalty on their individual tax return.

As a side note, that is one of our new functions as tax preparers. We are going to be the health insurance police and will have to ask our clients whether they have health insurance or not. If not, we have to give them a fine on their tax return.

Comment

SO the OP is quoting a source who is completely off-base on this situation and employing scare tactics via the Internet. Reminds me of another farce initiated this week by a blogger. As tax preparers, we are also dragged into these situations and asked to clarify such things for our clients. I know it is happening to me. We have our work cut out for us with every tax bill.

Comment

IRS Police

If our customers come to us and we begin adding taxes, fees, and penalties to their tax return because we are now the "tax police", then

won't these clients simply buy TurboTax and be able to lie to their hearts' content??

Comment

I think some do already.

Comment

Originally posted by Burke View Post
              I think some do already.
              Burke! How dare you imply that clients do not tell us the whole truth! If that were true the IRS would impose stricter requirements on things link EITC. Oh........ Wait...........
              They are...... Hmmmm.......

All - Thanks for all the information - helpful. I did also go to Kiplinger and received some clarification on the issue which a number of you pointed out. Appreciated.

It was one of my tax clients who received the email and forwarded it off to me. I will now quote each & every one of you as gospel & send it to my client as a follow up.....

Nah.. Just really glad it's Friday -- Going to crack open a nice cold Blue Moon Brew soon and try to relax -- Though I have to work a better part of the night and weekend....

Enjoy all... Little by little we'll prepare for 2010...
              Matthew Jones
              Tax Preparation
              Computer Consultant

Tax Season is here!
              Make sure everything is working, extra ink or toner is available, Advil in top drawer!

Comment

The thing that was interesting to me in the email is that the blogger (or whoever) actually quoted the Title IX Revenue Provision which specifically contradicts what he follows up with incorrect information. It says "heath coverage that is excludable from the exployees gross income."

Comment

Working...
                X