Question for you non profits tax pros

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you Thank you

Well in my wildest dreams did I believe my post would get this much detailed attention. Ok, I plan to approach it this way and please feel free to give me guidance. 1st the owner of the builidng is using the space to store the owners business items in this case furniture. If the owner decides to donate lets say 1/5 the space to a charity, the owner can deduct pro-rated related expenses (property taxes, utilities, insurance etc.) to maintain 1/5 of the space.

Your thoughts?

Comment

Gas and electricity?
      Property taxes?
      Repairs?
      "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Deduction of expenses for building loaned to non-profit

Here's something a colleague came up with:

Cost of maintaining an asset - A taxpayer may deduct the cost of maintaining a personally-owned asset to the extent its use relates to providing services for a charity. Thus, for example, a taxpayer was allowed to deduct the fuel, maintenance and repair costs (but not depreciation or the fair rental value) of piloting his plane in connection with volunteer activities for the Civil Air Patrol. (Rev Rul 58-279, 1958-1 CB 145) Similarly, a taxpayer who participated in a mounted posse that was a civilian reserve unit of the county sheriff's office could deduct the cost of maintaining a horse (shoeing and stabling). (Hahn, Eugene, (1979) TC Memo 1979-429, PH TCM ΒΆ79429, 39 CCH TCM 372)
        Evan Appelman, EA

Comment

Working...
        X