Sale of home with OIH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sale of home with OIH

Taxpayer's adjusted basis in home is $130,000 after taking into account depreciation for Office In Home (Form 8829). Home sold in 2009 for $115,000 -- so, a loss of $15,000. House was used 12% for business, so can a loss of $1800 ($15,000 * 12%) be reported on F4797? Pub 523 talks about perhaps not having to report the gain on a sale of a home, but doesn't address a loss like this. Business use of the home was a home based, office-type of business -- a large family room was used for business.

(numbers rounded for ease of referencing)

Thanks,
    Bill

This sale does not go on a 4797 - that would happen only if the office was a detached structure from the residence. If the 2 out of 5 was met, then any gain is excluded with the exception of the unrecaptured 1250 gain. The loss is personal and not deductible.

Comment

Bill

Page 14 might be helpful.

Comment

the pubs

The pubs talk about excluding the gain on a sale of an office-in-home, but I haven't seen any discussion in them about whether the loss is deductible or not. Another colleague I talked with today says when he researched this, the office-in-home is Sec 1231 and the loss would be deductible on F4797. His research seemed sound. Another post I found tonight, while not exactly on point (it was focused more on the Sec 121 exclusion), was http://www.taxalmanac.org/index.php/..._121_exclusion

Comment

If OIH is 1231 property, it kinda makes sense that a loss would be deductible. However, it does not make sense that Congress would concede in excluding a gain on OIH under the law, and then also allow a loss. Of course, they did not intend to exclude depr in prior law either, which is why they rectified it on 5/12/87.

Comment

The sale of a home office only goes on Form 4797 if the office is in a building not connected to the home. If the office is withing the 4 walls of the building the sale does not go on Form 4797.

Comment

Working...
            X