Motorhome for business

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motorhome for business

Anyone know how long to derpreciate a motorhome ued 100% for business? Is it a vehicle? Is is real property? UUgh. Can't find anything on IRS website. Any help appreciated.

A discussion on this topic at taxalmanac.org

Do a search on "motor home depreciation."

Comment

Motorhome for business

You may also want to look at this link:

Evan Appelman, EA

Comment

Well, as you can see

Originally posted by Becbec View Post
        Anyone know how long to derpreciate a motorhome ued 100% for business? Is it a vehicle? Is is real property? UUgh. Can't find anything on IRS website. Any help appreciated.
        by looking at the referenced links, the opinions are all over the board. One guy says seven years, another says five, and still another says 27 1/2. I've also looked for IRS opinion on it without any luck. For what it's worth I've used both five and seven (but not 27) without any hitches. Also, I've never yet had IRS to kick back any return for any item, method, life, or amount claimed on the detailed depreciation schedules I attach to my returns (IRS pays them no attention and doesn't much want them, but I like to send 'em anyway).

None of this answers your question or gives you any law on it, but the positive (and unaudited) experience of our peers occasionally calms the nerves and therein lies its value.

Best regards, BB
        Last edited by Black Bart; 06-30-2010, 08:37 PM.

Comment

Motorhome

For what it is worth,
          I have a t/p, Schedule C - that has a Motorhome, that we have been depreciating for business use at not less than 50% (but also not 100%) and at the time I researched, but can not tell you now where I found it, On Depreciation Schedule for 5 Years - Might even be a chocie for MACRS or just Straight Line. I require the t/p to keep a log of biz vs personal and also the mileage - which is minimal. Also have cautioned the t/p on personal useage at less than 14 days.

I would want some really good documenation for 100% business use and in what the capacity the motorhome was being used.

I believe there are various regulations depending on the useage.

Sandy
          Last edited by S T; 06-30-2010, 11:15 PM. Reason: More info

Comment

Becbec: What is the utilization - is it used for traveling (mileage), or as an office in the home? For travel I would use 7 years and for OIH I'd think that 39 yrs would apply.

Comment

More Info

I found this

Since a MotorHome can be utilized for different purposes, I would guess we would need clarification as to the 100% business use.
              Sandy

Comment

It could depend

If the mobile home is on wheel and used to go from place-to-place in a business that travels to different fairs, conventions, etc. and is not the principal place of residence, the rate might be different than if it were used as a home office.

Comment

Working...
                X