Tax Organizers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax Organizers

Do you use these with your clients? What has been your reaction to the use of Tax Organizers? The reaction of your clients?
    Some of these are generic but others are customized by the software. The former seems superior but it has been my experience that I do well to get clients to bring their necessary records in. I usually double check last year to see if any records are missing. Most of my clients do not want check lists to fill out.
    Last edited by Chief; 05-12-2010, 03:59 PM. Reason: addition

I use the Tax Organizers with 100% of my clients. I don't really have any problem with them.

Comment

I offer them

When I send my Christmas letter, I tell my clients that if they want an organizer, please request it before Jan. 15th.

Very few requested them.

When new clients come in with them, most of the time it is not usable. Only once was it a real life saver for a business return with a new client.

I would think they would be very helpful if people would do their homework and fill them out. I don't think they need to fill in numbers as much as CHECK that the INFORMATION is given to me, addressing each entry from the prior year. It would serve to keep the client personally involved in the preparation of their return.

So, no, they don't use them. Yes, I wish they would. It is too expensive for me to automatically mail them out.

If I read here that there are successes and true benefits in automatically mailing them, I will do it. My business is growing and changing year to year and it might be time for me to implement new protocol!
      "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

Comment

Organizer

I send out the organizer to every client, most of my clients fill them out, if the client forgets to bring
        them to their appointment, I just print out another one and we go over it and I fill it out with them.

I use the organizer for my due diligence requirements-especially for the EIC credit. (I don’t have my
        client sign Form 8867). The organizer I use, come with my tax program, so it has last year information
        In a separate column, gives us something to compare the current year with.
        I write down all of my notes and interview answers on the organizer for my record.

Comment

Cost Factors

I found the last 5 years that I had so many client's that didn't use the organizers, I devised some other simple records reporting them - guess it was just too confusing or they were too lazy.

Some just like to look and review them because of prior year figures, but never complete them, some just never even open the envelope, some just don't even know what I am talking about

So now I have a blend. Does save a lot of toner, paper and postage costs to NOT print out and "blanket" mail the organizers.

Sandy

Comment

Originally posted by Chief View Post
            Do you use these with your clients? What has been your reaction to the use of Tax Organizers? The reaction of your clients?
            Some of these are generic but others are customized by the software. The former seems superior but it has been my experience that I do well to get clients to bring their necessary records in. I usually double check last year to see if any records are missing. Most of my clients do not want check lists to fill out.
            Clients don't really like to do the work. I created my own worksheets and it is standard policy for the client not to bring me anything until all worksheets are competed and they have put all docs together. Works pretty well.
            Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

I combine several tax organizers along with notes...

I combine the TTB tax organizer, ProSeries tax organizer and obtain feedback from clients during tax season and make notes to edit my tax organizer so I am continuing editing my tax organizers. In mid Jan 10, I experimented by emailing my 09 tax organizer as a PDF to my clients and it was received pretty well. The biggest problem my clients have with my tax organizer is answering questions that never nor never will pertain to them like: reservist exps, educator exps, contributions to retirement accts outside of employer, purchase or sale of house, relocated, etc. so for 10 tax organizer I plan on breaking down my tax organizer to have several separate tax organizer for: purchase, sold, forclosed, shortsale or abandon house. On same tax organizer questions on loan modifications. My tax organizer is designed not to make the client enter data for which they already have a tax document with the data. Lastly I give a single digit discount for those clients that paritally complete my tax organizer to a double digit discount for those that fully complete my tax organizer. I also have a stand alone Sch C and Sch E tax organizer unless the client kept good books. In the case I usually only want the P&L and balance sheet. I have one client who refused to complete my tax organizer beginning with 2007 then in 2008 she called me up and ask if some thing was deductible and I replied "yes and that question is on my tax organizer". My client completed my tax organizer for the first time for 09 tax year. I still have 1 client that refuses to complete my tax organizer 09 was this is only the 2nd year I prepared their taxes so I am working on them.

Comment

Organizer issues vary

In years past I dutifully printed and snail-mailed the organizers to all clients.

A very large amount of the organizers were never seen again, or were returned in the same condition as when I had printed them.

I now send out an email toward the end of the calendar year, and offer the organizer to those who wish to have one. An email attachment (PDF file) works well for them.

For the few clients who have no email, I contact them by phone and while chatting ask if they want an organizer.

It is my current observation that no more than one third of my current clients wish to have an organizer.

FE

Comment

Organizers

ATX software has a basic organizer which you can modify to suite your needs. Organizers are a must if your're going to do a complete tax return. If an organizer is not used there is a chance that you could miss some vital tax information.

Comment

I make my own organizer - fill out front and back. The mailing was a pain and this is so much more "user friendly". Covers Sch A, C, and E rentals. Lots of Yes or No question. Any Yes answers and I usually give client a call to clarify. Been working well.

Comment

no

I don't mail out a single organizer. My job is to provide superior customer service. That means meeting with the client and going through things together. If they fill out a 10+ page organizer and provide documentation on everything, a high schooler could do my job.

Every year I hear the same thing from new clients: "it's so much easier working with you". I called up a client to meet with her and review some questionable information and when she arrived, she thought I was going to yell at her because she hadn't done something right. Seriously, what are preparers doing to their clients? Reading this forum I'm routinely shocked how preparers seem to take pride in busting the chops of their clients.

If I were going to send out an organizer it would be exceptionally personalized like BHoffman reports.

Comment

I send organizers only to Schedule C and Schedule E clients...The others get a checksheet, which is a reminder of those items that will be needed to complete their return, and some questions about about anything new that may have occurred in the tax year...I found in the past, sending complete organizers in the past was a waste of paper as my clients very rarely completed them...On the other hand my business clients use them most all the time, and appreciate having one to guide them through the organization of their tax data...

Comment

Working...
                        X