Beer and Wine License

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beer and Wine License

I have a client that applied for a Beer & Wine license. How do I handle that cost? Expense or what?

This is an existing business that is expanding services to include Beer & Wine.
    Last edited by BOB W; 05-12-2010, 02:05 PM.
    This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Have always handled purchase of beer and wine license as purchase of Sec 197 amortizable intangible.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmcg View Post
      Have always handled purchase of beer and wine license as purchase of Sec 197 amortizable intangible.
      OK. Over what time period and what about renewals going forward?
      This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

I don't see the licensing fee (it's not a 'purchase' by the way) as an intangible to be
        amortized, but rather an ordinary expense and put it in "taxes and licenses".

Remember one of the principles of accounting is materiality.
        ChEAr$,
        Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Thanks for the feed back... Maybe I'll wait for another responder to get another opinion. I'm not sure which way to go, as you can see.................Did I mention that this is the Application for a license?
          Last edited by BOB W; 05-12-2010, 02:48 PM.

Comment

I also expense this under "License and Permit Fees"

Comment

Beer & Wine License

How long is the license period for?
              When's the next renewal period?
              Uncle Sam, CPA, EA. ARA, NTPI Fellow

Comment

Page 5-11 TTB (for Sole Proprietorships - but s/b applicable to all entities).
                Some licenses, such as liquor licenses, may have to be amortized. See Pub 535.

As to materiality, I have one client who paid $ 30,000 for the license, 35 years ago. The annual renewal, I deduct. It currently could be sold for $ 85,000. What dollar amount are you dealing with?
                Last edited by abctax; 05-12-2010, 03:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by abctax View Post
                  Page 5-11 TTB (for Sole Proprietorships - but s/b applicable to all entities).
                  Some licenses, such as liquor licenses, may have to be amortized. See Pub 535.

As to materiality, I have one client who paid $ 30,000 for the license, 35 years ago. The annual renewal, I deducte. It currently could be sold for $ 85,000. What dollar amount are you dealing with?
                  $1,250.................

Comment

I'd expense it.
                    "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Sam View Post
                      How long is the license period for?
                      When's the next renewal period?
                      I don't know, but it is in NY.

Comment

Beer/Wine License

I would find out how long it's for.

I have a liquor store client whose state liquor license fee is between $ 1500-2000 for 3 years.
                        I amortize it straight line.
                        Uncle Sam, CPA, EA. ARA, NTPI Fellow

Comment

Is he "buying" it from the former owner or is he applying to the state and federal for the license and paying the annual fee?

Comment

Client

I have a client that part of the purchase cost was allocated to Beer/Wine License and that was amortized - it was sizeable in cost i.e. something like $ 30,000 - A renewal fee each year thereafter which is usually less than $ 1,500

Then I have had clients that go to ABC and make their application and pay the fee which is usually under $ 3,000 for one year and those I expense.

Sandy

Comment

Originally posted by newbie View Post
                              Is he "buying" it from the former owner or is he applying to the state and federal for the license and paying the annual fee?
                              He is not buying it from a seller. He started a business early 2009 and now he is adding Beer & Wine as an additional offering.

I went ahead and expensed it as it was a small amount.

Comment

Working...
                              X