Have to file question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have to file question

Client has W-2 and 1099. Total income is around $6500. 1099 amount is $1400. Does he still have to file because of the 1099 so he can pay taxes on it? Married filing joint. I thought since se tax would be under $400 he might not have to.

Thank you

The filing requirement for Sch C is $400.00 gross. So, yes they will have to file.

Comment

Filing SE income

It would be better to file anyway so there is no question about the person's income. I would not charge as much for a Sch C in this case as one that would be more elaborate and require a great deal more work. This case is one where your judgment should temper if you are charging by form and not be time. In fact this would be a case that favors time charges.

Comment

Thank you guys for answering. I couldn't find the $400 requirement in TTB... is it in there? I found it on the internet though after Unreg said it. I guess I need to put my CCH Master Tax Guide to use some too this year That is good to know as I had either forgot or just didn't know it.

I thought so Chief. Something in my gut was saying they had to file anyways. I lowered my price to $80 might still be too high for him but I think that is reasonable.

Comment

Geekgirldany, look on pg. 3-12 TTB.

Comment

Thanks Gabrielle. I see it now. I guess I am already getting a foggy brain from taxes. Today I called a client to ask if he had subcontractors. He said yeah you did the 1099s. I didn't even remember doing them. It was back in January and finally found my copy. I need to get with it here!

Comment

Working...
            X