Software review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Software review

Some time after tax season we all think about our experiences during the first 105
    days of the year, and wonder if we really do have the right software.

So then, what software do you use and what was your experiences, good and bad?

Naturally my question revolves around my own experiences this year and my quest for a more perfect solution. Particularly I am interested in hearing from anyone using TaxSlayer who in the past made the transition from Taxwise to the Slayer.

The floor is now open for debate. Let the games begin!
    ChEAr$,
    Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

I have been using Drake Tax Software for perhaps ten years and love it! It is not perfect but
    neither am I. I used Turbo Tax Professional prior to using Drake Tax Software and it was
    not nearly as effective. At that time It could not handle multi-state returns so I had to prepare
    them by hand. And Drake Tax Software gets better each year.

Comment

I switched from Taxwise to Drake this year. Very happy with the software and technical support. I had to call support many times. Often because the data entry was in a place I would not think to look. I maybe wrong but I really feel like it speed up my production time. Everything is laid out on the screen and I just tabbed or clicked through for my entries. With Taxwise I would have to scroll down the form to input. Seemed to make a difference.

Also one thing I like was the I could actually read the text. I tried the previous year in vain to increase the font size in Taxwise. It just did not help. I setup Drake so I could see everything clearly and large.

The Client Manager and built in document manager is great! You can track progress on the returns. Again very helpful.

I've already renewed with Drake and mailed the check today. I've told many friends and family how happy I was with the software... even though they probably did not really care

Comment

Taxwise

I have used Taxwise for 11 years and can't change for the learning curve. My practice has grown so much that I would have a stroke if I tried to change now! Last summer I tried using the TW Scan and Fill but with so little training, I just could not use it. Had to get it off my computer altogether.

I'm over 50 and not ready to change. I have heard nothing but good and wonderful things about Drake, but without a couple of weeks in training, I absolutely could not change software. I wish I had started with Drake. Since TW went to CCH, it hasn't been the same.

This year was far better than last year, though, as far as customer service goes. Still, it's not what it used to be, and I'm not thrilled like most Drake users I hear...
        "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

Comment

Ten years ago my closest tax preparer friend recommended again and again that I switch
          to Drake Tax Software as it would automatically prepare N. C. returns for my many clients
          who live here in S. C. but work in N. C.
          I prepared returns for my FIRST client in SEVEN minutes WITHOUT even looking at the
          manual. So much for the learning curve!

Comment

for dyne, then.

Taxwise has a memory, and brings forth blank w2 forms from last year's client file to this year's. Also it's memory is so good, that when you have a new W2 or 1099r, when you type in the EIN it fills in the rest of the form with payor's address, etc.

Does Drake do that?

Also, did you have any problem filing entity returns, both federal and state, with Drake?
            ChEAr$,
            Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Yes,

It does all that and a lot more.
              I switched in the middle of the season this year because my other program was messing up on MFS splits that were efiled. I lost all trust in them. I have experience with H&R Block software, Taxact and Lacerte, each for several years at different locations. There was about a 10 minute learning curve for me to do returns in Drake. and their conversion program works well. I am also in the "over 50" group and dont like change much, but moving to Drake was worth it. We use Lacerte at the other office I work for and there are days I HATE it. hard to learn, input screens for W-2s and 1099-Rs are the worse I have ever seen. Terribly hard to efile a return because the input is all over the place and makes no common sense. Now, it will handle just about any situation and you can force about anything you might need to, but the difficulty to use and the cost make it a big bust in my mind. And the techinical help is a waste. I called them a couple times this year to be told you can not do it that way, only to figure it out myself after I hung up from them.
              Did I mention that at this point I am glad I made the switch to Drake. Now is the time to get the trial offer and learn the program. Convert some of your clients and work with Drake's practice returns. Well worth the time.
              AJ, EA

Comment

Yes, Harlan; Drake Tax Software brings W-2 forms screens forward from the prior years, and if the taxpayer worked for a new employer; I can enter the EI number and IF it is in MY database, it creates a W-2 screen for that. It does not create such a screen if that employer is not in MY database. I just submitted a suggestion to Drake Tax Software that they create a GIANT database from ALL of their clients so that we preparers can enter the EI number and a W-2 screen will come up for ALL employers.I can understand that this might be impossible or present a confidentially problem. I do NOT prepare ENTITY returns any more, assuming you mean corporations, etc. I prepared 1120 and 1120-S returns for a few years but never obtained enough clients to make it worthwhile. I remember a fellow IRS Agent telling me that corporations were easy to prepare or audit since all expenses were GENERALLY deductible compared to endless rules regarding 1040 individual income tax returns. Of course the balance sheet is something to contend with on a corporation tax returns. No Drake is NOT perfect. I converted to it because it prepares multi-state returns so well and so easily. I like it very much. Drake Tax Software has adopted a NUMBER of my suggestions. My great claim to fame was that I suggested to Drake Tax Software several years ago that they change the software so that every time a print order was given to the printer the printer FONTS would be downloaded to the printer. I reasoned that it would cause no problem just as saving a document to WORD several times causes no problem as it simply overwrites the same information and does it very fast. Drake Tax Software implemented my suggestion the next year but never thanked me or gave me credit but that is no problem to me. Best wishes! I enjoy and learn from your posts.
                Last edited by dyne; 04-20-2010, 01:59 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

I'm still with ATX after coming over about 4-5 years ago from Ultra-Tax, whom I had been with for several years following their buyout of Microvision. I like the look & feel of ATX and the price is certainly right, especially since you get practically every form known to mankind.

Every year I tinker with one or two other programs just to keep my powder dry. I know that when or if ATX runs me off by increasing price or taking away features, I will undoubtedly switch to Drake.
                  "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

TaxWise

I use TaxWise through TRX. I really like it and haven't had a problem with it AFTER the initial conversion. The conversion was rough because it didn't bring forward a lot of the information that it should have on rental properties. Also K-1's aren't dealt with perfectly but it's not a problem.

I like it and love it for the price.

I've used Pro-Series (hated it), TaxAct (it's great for beginners), ATX and a really goofy Tax Exact that wasn't even usable.

JMHO but tax software is something that has to work like your brain works. Sometimes the way they do things makes perfect sense for some people and for you it may not ever click so it's always a fight. Pro-Series just never made sense to me but maybe that was because of where I was in my career - don't know. I used it last year for one OLD return and it was a nightmare. I guess my point is that just because everyone likes a particular software doesn't mean it is perfect for you. Give it a demo run if you want to make a change.

Comment

Software

I would check to make sure you can buy TAXWISE threw TRX next year.I ordered it from them this year they were unable to deliver to me.I am still trying to receive a refund.

Comment

Originally posted by MLINDER42 View Post
                        I would check to make sure you can buy TAXWISE threw TRX next year.I ordered it from them this year they were unable to deliver to me.I am still trying to receive a refund.
                        yes, I remember we discussed this before tax season. I never did press the refund option with TRX since TAxwise called me and re signed me for free. And "free" meant more than I had ever had before with Taxwise. But things change.

BTW, my understanding is that nobody, but NObody received Taxwise via TRX this past year.
                        ChEAr$,
                        Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

I like ATX software

I'm with JohnH. I also have used ATX for several years. It is worksheet based but it is also flexible, and the price is great. I like ATX better than Drake, but Drake is a great program. I switched to ATX when I couldn't afford Drake when I was went out on my own. I've been happy with it these several years. Price is still good so far!

Their website is: www.atxinc.com if you're interested in checking it out.

Comment

ATX is a dead product as far as I understand it. Planned replacement for 2012, so probably last tax year of 2010 or 2011? If looking for software to convert to that would make me nervous, as I wouldn't want to convert to new software and learn it and then have to change a year or two later. A pity really, there's not a lot of forms based tax software left.

Drake I doubt is going anywhere.

Comment

The demise of ATX has been predicted for a long time, but it has actually gotten better the past couple of years. Maybe CCH is setting us up for the big disappointment, but I do think they are having to factor in the fact that they will drive lots of customers to Drake, rather than to their other in-house products. All they have to do is read the comments on the Unofficial ATX community to get a sense of what would happen, and we're pretty sure they are monitoring us.

No way to know what a big company like that will do because their decisions are driven entirely by what they THINK is in their best interests with little regard for the customers. But unless they engineer a buyout of Drake, they stand to lose a big chunk of business the day they kill ATX. This is one of the reasons I never take their early discount - I buy the product only after I see it working. That worked out well this year, because their Intelliforms turned out to be something FAR less that advertised and I bailed out on it.

As for switching, I'm not sure what I'd say about that. I found the transition from Ultra Tax to be virtually seamless because ATX is so intuitive. For someone who knows their way around a spreadsheet, ATX can almost be run right out of the box. But as Roberts pointed out, what works for one won't necessarily work for someone else.
                              Last edited by JohnH; 04-20-2010, 09:07 PM.
                              "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Working...
                              X