married, two states

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

married, two states

How do I file two states when couple married in May and each from different states - CA and WI. Since June they both live in CA. My opinion to file joint full year in CA with only the income of WI person for June thru Dec (pension only) and file WI as married joint part year with only pension money Jan-May for person who lived there. Any opinions gratefully appreciated.

Originally posted by JoyceB
    How do I file two states when couple married in May and each from different states - CA and WI. Since June they both live in CA. My opinion to file joint full year in CA with only the income of WI person for June thru Dec (pension only) and file WI as married joint part year with only pension money Jan-May for person who lived there. Any opinions gratefully appreciated.
    MFJ Fed
    MFJ CA PY
    MFJ WI PY
    That way you can report the income actually made in the correct state. WI will only have the income of the WI person during the time that person lived in WI. That part of the income only will not be on the CA return.
    JG

Comment

Part year

WI - I would suggest you take a look at filing WI 1NPR two different ways:
      1) as MFJ
      2) as MFS
      If you file fed as MFJ, you can file WI as either MFJ or MFS. Try it both ways and see which one is better for clients. FYI: WI 1NPR must be paper filed.

Bill

Comment

Working...
      X