To acquire a new job skill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To acquire a new job skill

Are expenses paid to acquire a new job skill eligible for the tuition and fees deduction? It's clear on the hope/lifetime learning credit, but for some reason not on the T&F deduction.

Originally posted by skhyatt
    Are expenses paid to acquire a new job skill eligible for the tuition and fees deduction? It's clear on the hope/lifetime learning credit, but for some reason not on the T&F deduction.
    education expenses to acquire a new job skill is subject to the 2% deduction on sch A; however if it is from a accredited school you can take the life time credit
    Everybody should pay his income tax with a smile. I tried it, but they wanted cash

Comment

new job skill

TP took classes to become a notary. So the lifetime credit is the only option? I had thought maybe the Tuition and Fees deduction was an option also?

Comment

Read page 226 in pub 17- Qualified education expenses.Is that institution an eligible educational institution. Does it participate in student aid program.I dont think so.
        Everybody should pay his income tax with a smile. I tried it, but they wanted cash

Comment

Lost deduction

Looks like there is no deduction available, since a "Notary School" is not a qualified educational institution. I suppose if the notary training enhances TP's current job, it could be a 2106 deduction.

Comment

I think that is exactly what it is .Use 2106

good luck

Comment

Thank you

Thanks for the feedback Brian, much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
              X