S-Corp Shareholders Disagreement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S-Corp Shareholders Disagreement

I need a little advice on what to do here as I have not encountered this situation before.

I've got an S-Corp where one shareholder left. There is now disagreements going on in regards to various transactions in the S-Corp.

Should I talk to the ex-shareholder about the S-Corp return?

I would go into more details but this may become a bad situation if not already. I feel I only need to deal with the existing S-Corp shareholder. If she wants me to talk to the other one then I would need to get a privacy release.

What do you all think?

I'd saything along the lines of, "sorry, but if i cannot talk to both of you together I don't believe I can adequately prepare your return."

Comment

Originally posted by geekgirldany View Post

I've got an S-Corp where one shareholder left. There is now disagreements going on in regards to various transactions in the S-Corp.

Should I talk to the ex-shareholder about the S-Corp return?
      I only would talk to the other one in presence of the one you deal with, if this should be necessary.

As far as the Corporation tax returns goes, I think the 2nd S/H has all right to talk to you and you to him without conflict of interest - but I would not talk to the second one separately.

Comment

So are you all saying that I should talk to both of them at the same time in regards to the S-Corp return? One has already made it clear that she would talk to me but not to the other shareholder.

I just don't want to get in the middle.

The return is already prepared and ready to go.

Comment

see your e-mail

Comment

got it thanks

Comment

Is your client the majority shareholder? If so, the return is prepared on the basis
              on information presented by same.

If the other shareholder is/was a minor shareholder, it's no skin off your nose.

The important point here is that a majority shareholder controls everything, NOT in his capacity
              as a shareholder of course, but as president/chairman of board, whatever. Only an officer of the
              corporation has authority to direct affairs of the corporation.

But if it was a 50/50 deal, I see your concern, cause you might not know who has control. Best to
              get copies of last board of directors' meeting.
              ChEAr$,
              Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Thanks so much for posting. Actually it was 55/45 with current shareholder being the majority.

I don't even think there have been minutes or meetings recorded.

Comment

55/45 solves your problem. Deal only with mr 55.
                  ChEAr$,
                  Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Cannot just "Leave"

Dany, a shareholder cannot just "leave." Of course, he may physically do so, or just simply fail to show up, but there has to be a disposition of his shares. If he does nothing, your state law probably determines what happens to his existing shares.

But "leaving" will be a financial event, with possible ramifications on the K-1.

Comment

Working...
                    X