scanners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

scanners

I need some help with selecting a scanner.

I want to scan docs in my office (as opposed to walking to the front and using the copy machine). The smaller the better.

Im looking to basically make quick copies and maybe eventually keep the scans on my server so i dont have to keep paper copys of W2's etc.

Do you guys use the software that comes with it for the paperless route or?

Thanks!!!

Chris

Update: would like to be able to scan full pages as well at loose items like 1099M's, mabye a drivers licence, SS card.
    Last edited by spanel; 04-05-2010, 11:42 AM.

Scanners

I use an Epson Workforce 600 and it works great.
    I scan all documents to PDF via either the flat bed scanner or the Automatic Document Feeder (30 page I believe).

I use it to print the returns as well so it's right in front of me at all times. Small footprint (about 18 wide by 12 deep).

1 year warranty unregestered. 2 years registered.
    Ink costs are cheap in comparison to many (black $17 or $29 for large) - Colors $13 each.

$199 at staples. It was on sale for $99 and then $50 trade in for junk printer. YUP! $49.
    I bought two I liked it so much.

I did have ADF scanning issues on one and epson replaced it in 2 days.
    The newest model is the Workforce 610 -
    This is my 2nd year using it - Already paid for itself a few times over in my eyes.

I only prepare about 150 returns - So volume use could play on reliability.
    If you want something great - HP 3550 I believe - about $2,500 but they scan like deamons!
    Matthew Jones
    Tax Preparation
    Computer Consultant

Tax Season is here!
    Make sure everything is working, extra ink or toner is available, Advil in top drawer!

Comment

ScanSnap S1500

Have it sitting in a box with no spare time to hook it up yet, so no practical knowledge. But was involved in a demo late last year and loved it. Small footprint, color & B/W. But, best thing is it doesn't seem to jam when you put a stack of documents in the feeder with all different sized papers, even thinner paper! Includes full Acrobat, which alone is worth the price. Fujitsu. Web site covers it pretty well. Will have assistant scanning client documents after tax season, so will give it a workout then.

Comment

Two years ago I bought Canon DR-2050C which comes with Adobe Acrobat software. It's not the cheapest, but it's really good and has a tiny footprint of 4x12. This was a major issue for me.

Comment

I purchased a Kodak i1120 for much the same reasons as you list. I used it for the entire tax season this year and it works great.

Comment

Fuijitsu S510

The Fuijitsu S510 is a low cost scanner that has a document feeder and can scan duplex and simplex. I am well satisfied with mine. Try this link:

If the link doesn't work go to www.newegg.com and search for the scanner. They used to have a video demonstrating it.

If you scan thousands of documents, you will probably need a more expensive version.

Comment

World Scan 400

The size of a three hole punch but the trade off is that since documents must be fed in sheet by sheet there is always a degree of crookedness that could be avoided if a flatbed scanner or one with a good document feeder were used carefully. 99 bucks or so two years ago.

Comment

I bought a Fujitu Scan Snap, and I loved it, but it was not twain compatable and would not work with my tax program. So I bought a Fujitsu 6130, a bit more to spend, but it is FANTASTIC, and worth every penny. Has saved my hours of scanning one page at a time. I can put everything in it (even diferent sizes) and it is done, can even scan on both sides. I am scanning everything into it. Used it all tax season, and not even a paper jam. I do a lot by mail, so it is really good to have every thing that you return to them scanned. I would not think of getting anything else.

Jan

Comment

I've been using the ScanSnap myself for a few years. Paper has started getting stuck while scanning. Did you have that problem Jan?

From my reading you have to clean the pads in the machine with some kind of special cleaner from Fuijitsu. Read other places it was nothing more than rubbing alcohol.

Comment

The Scan Snap I did not use more than a week, and it worked great. My problem was it was not twain compatable. I thought I could find a work around, but nothing worked out. But it works out so much better being able to scan into my Tax Program.

Comment

I have problems with my 2 1/2 year old scansnap paper sticking. It was great until this year - I couldn't believe how fast and well it scanned stacks of papers, now if I put a stack in, the papers will likely stick. I did run some rubbing alcohol over the rollers and performance greatly improved but only for a couple of weeks. This might become a bit of a monthly maintenance issue - all in all I'd still recommend the little workhorse as I imagine this is a problem any printer/scanner will get when it's well used.

Comment

I went ahead and ordered a scansnap s1500. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Thanks!

Chris

Comment

New rollers

Maybe price out new rollers... Call their tech support and ask for suggestions about the sticking problem.

Comment

Working...
                          X