Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something does not look right to me with this exchange. Would someone take a look and let me know if I'm on the right track or not?

Old property:
    Basis - $100,000 + 11,124 exchange costs = $111,124 (no mortgage)
    Sold for $325,000

Replacement property:
    Cost - $519,000 + 5,638 closing costs = $524,638
    New mortgage - $194,000

I'm coming up with a deferred gain of $188,514 and basis of new property of $336,124.

Does this look correct and is this new basis ($336,124), the new basis for depreciation?

Thank you, Dennis
    Last edited by DTS; 03-06-2006, 10:41 AM. Reason: info

CFS TaxTools has a calculator just for this situation.

Comment

in the right place

The main thing I see wrong is the mention of a mortgage in the first and last lines. Mortgage is completely, totally, unredeemably irrelevant.

I also don't much like the math. When I subtract 111 from 325 I don't get 188. But in the end our numbers are close. My quick-calc of the new basis is 310,762.

I really appreciate you not using the words "sold" or "bought" anywhere. It's one of my personal prejudices, and I see your heart is in the right place.

Comment

The main thing I see wrong is the mention of a mortgage in the first and last lines. Mortgage is completely, totally, unredeemably irrelevant.
        Mortgage and cash are unlike property: so you must figure mortgage give up and received when doing your 1031 calculation.

I come up with a base closer to $310,762
        Deferred gain of $213,876

Comment

the mortgage is irrelevant

>>Mortgage and cash are unlike property<<

No, the mortgage is irrelevant. In the old days a buyer might assume a mortgage, but nowadays lenders always enforce the due-on-sale clause. The exchangor does not give up a mortgage, he pays it off. And he doesn't receive a mortgage, he signs up for a new one.

Comment

Thank you all for your help.

I went into CFS and redid the numbers and came up with the same totals you all did.

Thanks, again.
            Dennis

Comment

Working...
            X