Vehicle Personal Property Tax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vehicle Personal Property Tax

Is there a site anywhere that lists what states vehicle registrations include a deductible component? I do returns for clients across the country and find it a pain to search through each states DMV website...I thought there might be a chart out there somewhere that lists this...

Carolyn

Not that I know of. But generally, personal property taxes are local, not state. Registration fees handled by state DMV's are not deductible. So you would have to go on the locality's web site, at least in my state.

Comment

Originally posted by Burke View Post
      Not that I know of. But generally, personal property taxes are local, not state. Registration fees handled by state DMV's are not deductible. So you would have to go on the locality's web site, at least in my state.
      In my town in Montana, you register with County office, get a receipt from FMV that usually has 5-6 different fees on it. One of them is the personal property tax and the second one is an additional tax, deductible for state only. Who, who is out of state, is supposed to know this?

Comment

Carolyn,

Originally posted by equinecpa View Post
        Is there a site anywhere that lists what states vehicle registrations include a deductible component? I do returns for clients across the country and find it a pain to search through each states DMV website...I thought there might be a chart out there somewhere that lists this...

Carolyn
        Would the clients not have some kind of card or registration certificate they could provide you? Here in GA we get a card that shows the tax and the fees separately. I am not sure if we have a websiite that shows the tax. I do other states as well and most accept the federal itemized deductions for the vehicle tax component of the return. Of course, if I misunderstand what you are asking-my apology.

Peachie

Comment

Sure, the taxpayer gets a bill with this info or statement. So make them produce it. I know, I know, I have gotten to the point that because 50% of clients forget about this item year after year, I just don't put it on there any more if they don't give it to me.

Comment

Working...
          X