amend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

amend?

I put a bad sale date on one of many sched d transactions. I erroneously reported one stock as sold on 5-5-1999 instead of 5-5-2009. And it was accepted by the IRS.

No tax effect.

Drake software tells me that I'll need to paper file the amended 1040. Thus i'll need to bother the client for her signature. The client is the sister in law of a somewhat influential and powerful person. I'd rather not bother her.

Would you amend it?

It seems pretty minor compared to all the other screwed up stuff i see out there.

Your thoughts?

(While i certainly do blame myself. I also thought that Drake would have given an error message on such a typo.)

BTW, the total proceeds, of course, do match to the total of two 1099-Bs.

No tax effect?

Originally posted by tacks View Post
    I put a bad sale date on one of many sched d transactions. I erroneously reported one stock as sold on 5-5-1999 instead of 5-5-2009. And it was accepted by the IRS.

No tax effect.

Drake software tells me that I'll need to paper file the amended 1040. Thus i'll need to bother the client for her signature. The client is the sister in law of a somewhat influential and powerful person. I'd rather not bother her.

Would you amend it?

It seems pretty minor compared to all the other screwed up stuff i see out there.

Your thoughts?

(While i certainly do blame myself. I also thought that Drake would have given an error message on such a typo.)

I wouldn't worry about it.

Comment

Thanks, ESPENCER!

Yeah, everything else is checked and double checked. Nothing 'questionable.'

I was thinking that it best that i'll just let this one lie.

Comment

surprise, surprise

Originally posted by tacks View Post

No tax effect.

Would you amend it?

Your thoughts?

how did your software accept a prior year for a date of sale? you could probably fix it over the phone with the irs.
        Just because I look dumb does not mean I am not.

Comment

Originally posted by travis bickle View Post
          how did your software accept a prior year for a date of sale? you could probably fix it over the phone with the irs.
          Thanks Travis, Thanks for posting.

This season i've been putting on some "new hats."

Last season i would've been more likely to catch that. Last year there was less to look at.

If i woulda had to do it over again i'd pick Drake -- hands down. Great people.

Sorry if i'm dumping.

[tomorrow morning when i'm sober i'm sure that i'll stick to my words.]
          [i'll be embarrassed about grammar and spelling. But not about what i said.]
          Last edited by tacks; 03-29-2010, 06:03 PM.

Comment

If you are sure correcting the date has no effect on the tax liability then I would leave it alone and if the IRS questions you can say oops! typo here is a copy of the actual transaction.
            Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Working...
            X