Form 1310

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Form 1310

I am preparing a return for a client that died last month. Her neice is designated in the Will to dispose of the the property. She is not a court-appointed personal representative. I have answered all the questions properly on the 1310. Can I assume that I don't need to send anything in with the return, like the death certificate?

A person applying for a refund (other than the surviving spouse) on behalf of a decedent where no court appt has been or will be made should provide a copy of the death certificate to you. See the instructions for 1310. This is generally in situations where there is no will. If there is a will and a niece has been designated as executor, then she should be probating that will and appointed as executor and/or personal representative. I would not do the return without this to avoid liability. A copy of the will won't be accepted by the IRS.
    Last edited by Burke; 03-25-2010, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Just send the 1310

No death certificate is required.

Comment

taxxcpa is correct but be sure to keep one in your client file
        Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

I always provide a copy of the Death Certificate with the 1310, required or not. It just seems to connect a relationship to the deceased for IRS to issue a refund to an unknow person, in IRS eyes.
          Last edited by BOB W; 03-26-2010, 07:58 AM.
          This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Working...
          X