TaxAct

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CCH & TaxWise

I have been using TaxWise since their first year on market. I would use TaxWise even if I was given a free tax program of everything on the market..

The above thread wondering about TaxWise for 1040 returns, FANTASIC, the easiest, simplest, fastest software on the market. I can't imagine trying to do Sch.A, B, C, D, E's and F's along with depreciation, 1099 or K-1 with such speed and ease on anything but TaxWise.

There diagnostic check is great, if it passes, create the e-file. All returns are easily selected for transmission at the end of the day, just batch the day's works and transmit

The communications module is fantastic, never a problem. Last year I was getting CA (stand alone state) Ack's back in 4 to 6 hours, Federal were coming back in 12 hours.

It's a form fill program, by that I mean each form you use IS THE FORM, your figures go in as a direct entry on the required forms.

I pray that CCH will leave TaxWise just as it is.
    Confucius say:
    He who sits on tack is better off.

Comment

Software

TaxAct does not support all the non-resident states, nor even all the resident state forms, nor even all the federal forms, but it does do 98% of what you need. TaxAct is superior to ATX is several ways - primarily in diagnostics and opening needed forrm. ATX would not automatically calculate AMT in many common cases - they apparently 'solved' that problem this year by opening a 6251 for ALL 1040 returns. TaxAct had a simple check the box form to evaluate educational deduction/credit options - ATX made you work it out all the different ways. But --- TaxAct doesn't have a good e-file management routine. You submit each e-file independently, and track them on your own. You don't even get to choose your own DCNs -- they start at EFIN0500 and go from there. I actually preferred TaxWise to either ATX or TaxAct. But ATX and TaxWise have both been bought by CCH, so who knows what next season will bring.
      Don,

I am not trying to be a wise-guy, but this software sounds very cumbersome, labor-intensive and one that I would be afraid to use. Maybe, I'm not understanding exactly what you are saying in your post, but I believe any program should be seamless and you should only have to check on a few items, say with an out-of-state return.

I don't know how you can prepare a return when the program will only prepare certain forms and you may need others. What do you do in this case?

Like I said, I'm not being critical of you, just wondering how you work with this during the season.

Dennis

Comment

I like 'Brand X' because ...

< ... but this software sounds very cumbersome, labor-intensive and one that I would be afraid to use. ... >

In my mind, the idea software would have the capability of ATX MAX along with its support forum, an interface and EIN/zip database like TaxWise, the low price and simplicity of TaxAct, the comprehensiveness and foolproof printed page to e-file conversion of Drake, and the speed of the old DOS OrrTax. And throw in a research interface to the code and regulations.

I can't defend my choice of programs, except to say that I've used several and try not to get emotionally involved with the program. And if I choose the wrong program, which has happened, I switch even if it is in mid-season.

Comment

Originally posted by DonPriebe
          < ... but this software sounds very cumbersome, labor-intensive and one that I would be afraid to use. ... >

In my mind, the idea software would have the capability of ATX MAX along with its support forum, an interface and EIN/zip database like TaxWise, the low price and simplicity of TaxAct, the comprehensiveness and foolproof printed page to e-file conversion of Drake, and the speed of the old DOS OrrTax. And throw in a research interface to the code and regulations.

I can't defend my choice of programs, except to say that I've used several and try not to get emotionally involved with the program. And if I choose the wrong program, which has happened, I switch even if it is in mid-season.

Don, try Lacerte , it has all you just described and more.

Comment

Lacerte

I've tried Lacerte, TaxAct and Intuit's ProSeries. They were all good. I have tried TaxSlayer and Drake and found both to have shortcomings.

I use ATX because it provides every form imaginable including all States, individuals, corporations and partnerships plus a variety of forms for taxes other than income tax--such as state sales tax, state unemployment tax and a lot of forms I never expect to need, but if I do, they are available.

Comment

Working...
            X