Social Security For Prior Years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Social Security For Prior Years

If a person recieves social security for prior years in one year, he can elect to carry that back...This is a 17 year old that this year has wages and the social security for the two prior years and the current year would impact his tax. ---but he had no earnings in the prior two years, so nothing would be taxable in prior years.

Do I have to make an election on the current return to show I am only claiming this years social security????

Yes, "LSE"

You probably know that there are worksheets to go thru where you allocate the SS to the appropriate year. Then, to the left of 1040, line 20b you enter "LSE" for "Lump Sum Election". I would highlight "LSE" and attach the worksheets. And, yes, I would actually go thru the exercise of doing the worksheets, even though you know it's not necessary. They don't. Or they will say they don't. (The cup is half empty today for some reason.)

I know directions say not to include the worksheets, but the VERY first one I did of these 100 years ago, the client got a letter, even though it was done correctly. (I swear.) I sent the worksheets, and all was well. Ever since, I attach the worksheets.

Just my personal and I realize pretty anal opinion, you understand. ; - )
    If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

And 100 years ago, the postage charge for sending attached documentation was awful. It cost a lot of money at that time to ship stone tablets after we carved the info into them.
      "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Amen, Brother!

Originally posted by JohnH View Post
        And 100 years ago, the postage charge for sending attached documentation was awful. It cost a lot of money at that time to ship stone tablets after we carved the info into them.
        I still can't get over how Moses broke those tablets that day. What was he thinking?!
        If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

Working...
        X