Inherited Rental Real Estate Depreciation Basis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On the appraisal of inherited rental real estate, "Sales Comparison Approach $128,000" and "Income Approach $206,800." Which do I use for Depreciation Basis?

FMV is

what a willing seller and a willing buyer would be WILLING to accept and give, and they both are really smart about it. Watch out for the value of land and the items of property in the house.

Comment

Originally posted by Oma View Post
      On the appraisal of inherited rental real estate, "Sales Comparison Approach $128,000" and "Income Approach $206,800." Which do I use for Depreciation Basis?

Inherited rental property uses the value on the Estate Tax Return for basis. All other issues are irrelivant.
      This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

However

a form 706 is not always required and/or filed - So the Executor should obtain an appraisal as close to date of death as possible. It would be needed for a 706 form and can be used if a 706 form is not filed. It would seem an appraisal would also be required for Probate if needed.

It seems what the OP mentioned is possibly a "Realtor Evaluation".

Sandy

Comment

Form 706 is not required, estate tax return was not filed. An appraisal of the property was done- on the APPRAISAL of inherited rental real estate, "Sales Comparison Approach $128,000" and "Income Approach $206,800." Which do I use for Depreciation Basis? I have the value of the land and the contents, but am questioning which value to use for depreciation.

Comment

If I had to guess, and it is only a guess, I would use the higher figure. Since this property has been rental for a long time (?) it probably would have been valued in the estate as a rental real estate business, thus having greater value than residential. But just because it is a house that is rented out does not move it into valuable rental property. Now if it was a 2 or 3 unit house, that may be a different story.
            Last edited by BOB W; 01-24-2010, 02:38 PM.
            This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

I would inquire of the appraiser why these two figures are so disparate. Did he use comparable residential property (non-rental) as the basis for "Sales Comparison" approach? Income Approach factors in potential rental income for a period into the future which should be a fairly legitimate way to determine actual FMV if the property were to remain rental property. Also, what was declared for probate?

Comment

Originally posted by Oma View Post
                Form 706 is not required, estate tax return was not filed. An appraisal of the property was done- on the APPRAISAL of inherited rental real estate, "Sales Comparison Approach $128,000" and "Income Approach $206,800." Which do I use for Depreciation Basis? I have the value of the land and the contents, but am questioning which value to use for depreciation.
                I would ask your client to determine from whomever he got this quote to give him a FMV amount at time of death of the person he inherited the property from.
                Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Appraisal

Oma, this might assist you - The article gives methods to Determine Market Value

url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_estate_appraisal[/url]

It seems the Income Approach is more commonly used for commercial real estate and businesses, than it would be for a residential rental. Income Approach appraisal is also anticipating the value based on the property generating a particular income. The property might not generate the income that is used in the appraisal.

Sandy

Comment

Working...
                  X