EA License

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EA License

I passed the third of the three tests for my EA in Sept 2009. I submitted everything to the IRS and as I understood it was supposed to be processed in about 60 days. I still have not received my enrollment card and when I called the IRS they said they are upgrading their computer system and until that happens they will not issue any new EA enrollment cards or do any background checks. Anyone else have this experience? Anything that can be done to speed up the process. I would like to have my EA before tax season 2010. Any suggestions or ideas? Anyone I can call to speed up the process? Maybe they can process manually? What if I called my local congressman or women? Would that get them moving? I am frustrated because I have a lot of clients I would like to help and represent but without the card my hands are tied.

Thanks!
    GTS1101

Anyone's Guess

GTS, maybe one of our board members with close ties to the IRS can help. I was told by an IRS manager last week that various departments in the IRS have had to loan out their people to help out with amended returns and the related FTHB credit.

I would recommend against calling your congressman except as a last resort. To begin with, they really don't know what to do either, without going through the Treasury Commissioner's office. They don't know any better how to work "inside" the IRS than you do. Of course, given selected occasions they can exert a heavy foot, but this can cause your file to be pulled out and given to the wrong people to process -- people who don't normally do this work and the administrative bungling only gets worse.

If I had any suggestion, I would try the Practitioner's Hotline 866-860-4259. You may experience a long wait as these people have also been sucked into the FTHB credit.

Best wishes and congratulations in advance for passing the exam.

Snag

Comment

You might try NAEA, as a potential member they might be able to tell you what is really going on. They have helped me many times, and a good organization to join. I remember when I took my EA test, we took the test in Sept, and did not know the results until late Fed or March, very frustrating.

Comment

Maybe we took the test the same year. The exact same thing happened to me. I did not actually get my card until the summer after I received my test scores.
        You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Comment

Took my test, 1987. Two days of testing, only offered once a year. No tax tables, no calculators. Sounds easier today, but I am glad, because we need more EA's.

Comment

Agree

Originally posted by GTS1101 View Post
            ...Any suggestions or ideas? Anyone I can call to speed up the process? Maybe they can process manually? What if I called my local congressman or women?...
            GTS1101
            with Snag -- they'd probably tell your congressperson the same thing they told you -- "Computer's down" and what could they reply to that?

I think I'd just call IRS again (and then again) and maybe you'll draw one of those "nice guy" agents who just might do somethin' for you (it happens).

Comment

Same here.

Originally posted by Piglee View Post
              I remember when I took my EA test, we took the test in Sept, and did not know the results until late Fed or March, very frustrating.
              Originally posted by WhiteOleander View Post
              Maybe we took the test the same year. The exact same thing happened to me. I did not actually get my card until the summer after I received my test scores.
              Took mine in September '05 (last year for the four-parter) and got the card in March '06.

Comment

Originally posted by Piglee View Post
                Took my test, 1987. Two days of testing, only offered once a year. No tax tables, no calculators. Sounds easier today, but I am glad, because we need more EA's.
                Well, I took mine in 1997. But everything else was the same experience as yours. The waiting to find out if you passed was torture. Now, at least the person knows right after they take the exam if they passed that part. I agree, it does seem easier. But, as long as they still test for the same level of knowledge, they will be good EAs.
                You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Comment

Again, congratulations to the OP for passing the EA exam.

But from the answers you've received so far, and to which I would agree, you won't be able to hurry things along. Not even practitioners' hotline will be able to help; nor that TAO, nor
                  your congressman.

when you do get your card though, be sure to join NAEA.
                  ChEAr$,
                  Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

I got my card in under a month. So something must be going on. Sorry you are having to wait.

Comment

Call

When I hadn't received my card by the time others had, I called (it was Detroit way back then) and learned that I had left a line blank. They were NOT going to call me to tell me that. However, they did give me their fax number to fax them a completed form and rushed my certificate to me. So, call to find out exactly why the wait.

Comment

I finally got my license!

Hi Everybody,

I kept calling and calling and nobody returned my calls. Finally on 12/12/09 it showed up with the certificate in the mail. I was so excited. I can't explain the feeling. Now I can get on with defending taxpayers rights. I love helping people and my new mission is to be the taxpayers advocate. I have a client already who I am going to represent and I look forward to helping them as they had some unusual circumstances and it caused them to pay unnecessary tax and penalties.

As an EA when you submit the power of attorney form by fax how does the IRS notify you when you are approved to be the power of attorney for your client? Does it come in the mail? If yes how long after you fax it to them? Or do they call you? Or do I call them and bug them. I would like to get the power of attorney a.s.a.p.

Thank You!
                        GTS1101

Comment

Hi Everybody,

As an EA when you submit the power of attorney form by fax how does the IRS notify you when you are approved to be the power of attorney for your client? Does it come in the mail? If yes how long after you fax it to them? Or do they call you? Or do I call them and bug them. I would like to get the power of attorney a.s.a.p.

Thank You!
                          GTS1101
                          You partially answered your own question about the POA when you were talking about
                          continually calling to inquire about your EA status. IOA, they don't notify you that they
                          have received or registered your POA. But generally speaking, you can assume it's in their system in Memphis within 48 hours.

Once more now, be sure to join NAEA, do you hEAr me? (grin
                          ChEAr$,
                          Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Naea

Thank You! Yes I did join the NAEA. I noticed that as a new EA and recently passing the exam I got a discount. My question would be is what are the main benefits of being a member? I noticed you get some discounts on tax research and some member benefits like discounts with Tenez, etc but why is it so important to be a member?

GTS1101

Comment

Thank You! Yes I did join the NAEA. I noticed that as a new EA and recently passing the exam I got a discount. My question would be is what are the main benefits of being a member? I noticed you get some discounts on tax research and some member benefits like discounts with Tenez, etc but why is it so important to be a member?

GTS1101
                              The NAEA and state affiliates are the only group that speaks for Enrolled Agents. The other groups, although they may do good, have a mixture of different types of members and will not stand up for one group that might offend another batch of their members. And the more members that a group has, the better the chances of being able to help in varying situations.

For example, you might not necessarily want to support something that is helping unlicensed, and in some cases unqualified, preparers and in doing so is working against the enrolled preparers.

LT
                              Only in government or politics is a "cut in spending" really an increase. It's just not as much of an increase as they wanted it to be, therefore a "cut".

Comment

Working...
                              X