retention of tax return copies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

retention of tax return copies

I'm looking for confirmation of how long we need to keep copies of clients' tax returns. i heard recently it had changed.

Unless something has changed big time, we are not required to keep copies. Only a list of who we prepared returns for pay. I'm sure most of us keep returns and source documents to shade our backsides but no requirement to retain a complete copy.

Our internal policy is to retain copies of current clients returns as long as they are clients. Former clients copies are retained for three years then shredded.
    In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
    Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

Originally posted by DaveO View Post
      Unless something has changed big time, we are not required to keep copies. Only a list of who we prepared returns for pay. I'm sure most of us keep returns and source documents to shade our backsides but no requirement to retain a complete copy.

Our internal policy is to retain copies of current clients returns as long as they are clients. Former clients copies are retained for three years then shredded.
      Nothing has changed. I merely keep a list of names and TIN's of returns "for the record".
      ChEAr$,
      Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Working...
      X