MDR and 401K

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MDR and 401K

If a t/p is still working and contributing to their 401K and turned age 71 on 12/18/05 are they required to take a minimum distribution from their 401K plan?

Sandy

Sandy, When do you sleep?

Comment

Sleep What is That

There is no time to sleep at tax time. But then when tax time is over I am already in that pattern and a nite owl. My clock just doesn't work right. But remember, I am Calif time which is right now 11PM.

Now if you take a look there are other nite owls as well, like JG, but then I notice that you seem to be also on the West Coast.

Sandy
      Last edited by S T; 02-23-2006, 04:00 AM.

Comment

Veritas

Keep posting and we will soon get you to Senior Member status.
        I am just posting non tax stuff right now as I am frustrated with several returns and need a diversion.

Sandy

Comment

Sandy,

Your 401(k) question is found in TTB, page 13-23, "For a participant in a qualified pension plan, RMD begins by April 1 of the year following the later of the year:
          1)The employee turns age 70 1/2, or
          2) The year the employee retires."

TTB then goes on to list exceptions.

Comment

Original Question

TTB page 13-23

Qualified plans RMD by 4/1 of year following the later of the year:

1) Employee turns 70 1/2
            2) Employee retires

Some employer plans require dist at 70 1/2 even though tax law states retirement. 5%+ owners of stock, capital or profit interest must start by age 70 1/2.

Matt
            I would put a favorite quote in here, but it would get me banned from the board.

Comment

Working...
            X