X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From IRS on PTIN numbers

ATTN: Authorized IRS e-file Providers/EROs

If you applied for a Preparer Tax ID Number (PTIN) online application, you
    were required to read the PTIN agreement before accepting the application.
    The agreement reads:

"Under penalties of perjury, I declare that I have examined this
    application, and to the best of my knowledge and belief, it is true, correct
    and complete. Further, I certify that I will use my Preparer Tax
    Identification Number only to identify myself on returns or claims that I
    prepare for compensation. Please enter your PIN to accept the terms of this
    application to receive your PTIN number."

It has come to the attention of IRS that this agreement is not being adhered
    to. This alert is to remind you that the PTIN belongs to that individual,
    not your company. If you do not have a PTIN, visit the e-services page and
    apply for a PTIN.

----------
    This has been an IRS e-file QuickAlert
    Only in government or politics is a "cut in spending" really an increase. It's just not as much of an increase as they wanted it to be, therefore a "cut".

PTIN for compensation

I prepare my parish priest tax return at no cost. So do I delete my PTIN number on that return : )

Comment

Delete PTIN

Yes and put in your social security number according to that email.

Comment

Why would you put any ID of yours on a return you don't get paid for? I prepare probono returns as self-prepared.
        DIY programs are not a replacement for a good tax pro

Comment

This alert is to remind you that the PTIN belongs to that individual,

Going forward I will adhere to the "only to identify myself on returns or claims that I prepare for compensation" but I've prepared relatives returns at no cost and not deleted my PTIN. What would be the penalty for this criminal act?

I don't think I need to loose any sleep over it and it seems the main jist of the alert is to remind preparers that the PTIN belongs to that individual and not your company.

Comment

Originally posted by newbie View Post
            Going forward I will adhere to the "only to identify myself on returns or claims that I prepare for compensation" but I've prepared relatives returns at no cost and not deleted my PTIN. What would be the penalty for this criminal act?
            There's no penalty involved. But i'm thinking that it's a matter of how you're presenting yourself to the IRS. Why tell the IRS that you were compensated for 30 returns when five of them were freebies.

I'm not signing the returns which i did for free. But i certainly am listing myself as 3rd party designee.

(heck, we know that theres plenty of preparers out there who don't even sign the returns which they're paid for!)

Comment

I read the alert to mean that preparers were letting their employees or other preparers use their PTIN.

"This alert is to remind you that the PTIN belongs to that individual,
              not your company. If you do not have a PTIN, visit the e-services page and
              apply for a PTIN. "

Doesn't appear to have anything to do with unpaid returns.

Comment

Got same impression

I got the same impression as joahnmcq. It sounded like some were letting other people use their PIN. That's a no-no.

Linda

Comment

Working...
                X