Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When rental property isn't really rental prop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When rental property isn't really rental prop?

I have a elderly couple who are trying to sell the house that they no longer live in. They are now in a retirement home. They rented it out while it was on the market, just for about 8 months.

It is vacant once again and remains on the market.

Can't I claim that as "other income" and not do the Sch E and all it involves?

Thanks and Blessings for the coming week!

"I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

Originally posted by Possi View Post
    I have a elderly couple who are trying to sell the house that they no longer live in. They are now in a retirement home. They rented it out while it was on the market, just for about 8 months.

It is vacant once again and remains on the market.

Can't I claim that as "other income" and not do the Sch E and all it involves?

Thanks and Blessings for the coming week!

You don't have to worry about depreciation anyway. (Less than one year.) So no harm done unless they are missing out on some expenses.
    JG

Comment

I think it depends on whether it has been "available to rent" during the time it was not occupied. If it was, and still is, then a Sch E is appropriate with the depreciation. taxea
      Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

well...

It was only available to rent to the friends/neighbors who rented it for a short time. It was never advertised as rental property. Still isn't. Just trying to sell it.
        "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

Comment

Ln 21...if no expenses. It doesn't appear that she had any intention of truly making money but rather was doing a favor for a friend. taxea
          Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Working...
          X