X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay, you are wrong

>>Feel free to correct me if I wrong<<

Okay, you are wrong. I am an ***.

By the way, I was lying on that other board. I don't do happy hour. I have never been in a bar (except Olongopo in 1969, but that wasn't really me).

Comment

It was you, I saw you there.

Comment

back then

Hey, Buddy! Didn't you wear your hair a little different back then?

Comment

Hmmph. I was the gal behind the bar serving drinks!

Comment

Hmmph

>>Hmmph. I was the gal behind the bar serving drinks!<<

Hmmph. Must of been a different bar. A different town. A different year. We weren't there for drinks, and the ladies were definitely not behind the bar.

Comment

Jainen and safire

I have been doing taxes for 25 years and I STILL have to read those darn rules over again every year to get it in my mind. Luckily I dont run into a whole lot of situations where I have to question whether or not a child qualifies because of all these different scenarios.
              ken

Comment

How is money spent

I have something else to throw in here. If the child blows the money( social security) on CDs, computer games, and other playthings and not as "support" for himself, and the parent in fact supports him, I think the parent will be able to claim him.

What do you think about that?
                ken

Comment

recreation count toward support

recreational items count toward support provided. the fact that we, as adults, would not consider it "support" is irrelevant.

TTB page 3-17

Comment

Ken, I think Josh is right, no matter what they spent the money on, as long as it was something for themselves, it's considered spent for their own support. Hard pill for some parents to swallow but that's the way it is.

The thing I don't like in this situation is that the mother ultimately has control over the money, checks come to her, for the children. They are 9 and 12, so it's unlikey she signs the checks over to them. The SS form though has their name and ss number as benificiary.

The double edged sword being what it is, if the money came in her ss number, then they would be over the limit and have to pay tax on some of the money, so I guess it is just as well that it is this way.

Comment

Yeah, you must be right. Now that I think about it, I would only have been 8 years old. They would have kicked me out of that bar.

Comment

Ken, I havn't been doing taxes quites as long as you have, only 12 years for me, but I too, still have to read and re-read to be sure about things sometimes, if only to keep myself from lying awake at night worrying that I did a return wrong.

Even in the old firm where I worked befone going out on my on in 03, there were always differences of opinion about who was eligible for what, it's always helpful just to have at least one other person say, "Yeah, that's how I would do it."

Comment

that particular bar

>>I would only have been 8 years old<<

I don't mean to offend your delicate sensibility, or the dignity of this message board, but you would not have been kicked out of that particular bar.

Comment

support

Yeh, I guess your right. My wife told me to throw that in there. She was standing here when I was reading your post and we discussed it a little. She said somewhere in the back of her mind she remembers reading that it had to be for REAL support and not for toys and such.
                            ken

Comment

Working...
                            X