Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PTIN for preparer to sign 941.....how do you get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PTIN for preparer to sign 941.....how do you get?

As you may be aware, we are now required to sign for 941 as preparer, and we can put a PTIN instead of our Soc Sec #. Does anyone know how to get such a PTIN and how many digits it is supposed to be?

Originally posted by John of PA View Post
    As you may be aware, we are now required to sign for 941 as preparer, and we can put a PTIN instead of our Soc Sec #. Does anyone know how to get such a PTIN and how many digits it is supposed to be?
    From W-7P Application for Preparer ID Number will do it...............My number is nine digits long and as I recall I make it fit the 941 by leaving out the first few digits which are zero anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmcg View Post
      From W-7P Application for Preparer ID Number will do it...............My number is nine digits long and as I recall I make it fit the 941 by leaving out the first few digits which are zero anyway.
      I think the PTIN is different than the PIN. The PTIN is assigned by IRS via the form W-7P and used in place of either an EIN or SSN. The PIN can be whatever you choose. I also use my PTIN less the zeros for my PIN.

Comment

Ptin

Originally posted by John of PA View Post
        Do you not already have one for 1040 purposes?
        ChEAr$,
        Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

already have

I already have one for form 8879 Efile if thats what you mean?

Comment

Form 8655 -for e-filing 941s

I am planning to e-file Form 941s for one of my clients, so I had the client sign a Form 8655 to authorize me to e-file Forms 940 & 941. I mailed the signed copy to the IRS. They will mail the ID number back to the client and when I get the number the IRS signed, I should be able to e-file the 941 for the first quarter of 2009.

Check the instructions for Form 8655 which go into detail.

Comment

Ptin

I haven't used my SS number on tax returns since PTIN's were allowed. I have a low number.

I use that same number on the 941's, etc.

You don't have one for tax returns? As in you are still using your SS number?
              Jiggers, EA

Comment

Tax Returns,

Jigger,
                Are you asking if I have one that appears on page 2 of the 1040 paper return mailed in? Yes, it's a letter, three zero's, then 5 digits. Is this OK to use on the 941 signiture area?

Comment

John - that PTIN is good for all returns. I use the 5 digits as my PIN.

Comment

Prior Discussion

John, we had another discussion about this just about 3 weeks ago http://www.thetaxbook.com/forums/sho...highlight=PTIN

Are you still having some difficulty with the PTIN and the PIN numbers?

You will use the same PTIN that the IRS issued you for your tax returns on the payroll tax returns for form 941 and form 940.

The PIN (5 digit number) is self assigned by you, such as zip code last 5 digits of PTIN number, or birthdate, etc.

Sandy

Comment

No form 8655?

Originally posted by BHoffman View Post
                      John - that PTIN is good for all returns. I use the 5 digits as my PIN.
                      The same PIN won't work if you e-file the 941s but apparently is sufficient if you paper-file them.
                      Last edited by taxxcpa; 02-16-2009, 07:54 AM.

Comment

I think I got it.............

Thank you Sandy and all. I want to be sure I'm using the right PTIN on the 941 preparer area (I file as a paper return). If I'm correct, I ignore any PIN I use on the 8879 Efile form for electronic 1040's. What I use on the 941 is the same PIN I use on the 1040 page 2 signiture area, but I drop the initial letter and the 3 zero's, leaving the 5 digits. For example if my 1040 page 2 signiture has the PTIN P O O O 5 1 9 8 2, then I use as my 941 paper return PTIN 5 1 9 8 2. I think I got it now, agree? Thank again everyone.

Comment

Confusion

John of PA,

Now I am confused.

Your PTIN # should be the same number as you use on your form 1040 forms which is a P00######, and you use that same PTIN # on the Forms 941 page 2 under Paid preparer's use only SSN/PTIN first line on the right side.

PIN# is your self select 5 digit number of your choice that will be entered on form 941 Part 4, under the line of Designee's name (third party designee) and on form 940 page 2 under Part 6, (34d party designee.

Sandy

Comment

9 digits OK, got it

Sandy,
                            It appears you enter everything the POOOxxxxxx, your correct. What confused me is my payroll software would only let me enter 5 digits, but now I see the 5 digit limit is the EFIN for 941's that are Efiled, which I do not do. I now realize I enter my POOOxxxxx PTIN in the box that says SSN (in the payroll software) and it appears where it should be. The payoll software input should read SSN/PTIN rather than just SSN. So I am enteing all 9 digits, thanks for your help....many happy returns......

Comment

Working...
                            X