Bogus SS Number

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bogus SS Number

I need to know how to proceed with a problem that was presented to me yesterday. I'll give you a brief history (if there is such a thing!).

New client this year. When he was a teenager, he was issued a bogus SS number (did not know this at the time???) so he could start work. Worked a short while, approx. 2 months, with this number, but never filed a return until this year.

This year, knowing nothing of this previous number, as was suggested to me, I filed a return along with a W-7 and mailed to Bansalem, PA thinking a number would be issued at this Service Center. He has received a letter stating the number they have on file doesn't match...

I am of the mind to have him find the old (bogus) number, file the return with this number, then correct this mess by going to SS later on, explain the situation and have all data transferred to the new number.

Am I on the right track or totally off-base? Any suggestions on how to proceed with this is really appreciated!

Thank you, Dennis

Wrong SS#

Hi, Dennis,

Read something like that just recently, but can't remember where. Maybe it'll come to me the next time I'm in the office. Anyway, someone asked what to do with illegal aliens with false SS#s who then obtain ITINs or SS#s. The answer (although, since I can't remember the source, I can't say how reliable the source!) was to use the new, correct # and not the old, incorrect # even though the W-2 and the person's work history is under the false #. Obviously, your client or you should have a chat with the SSA, first. Especially since his old # might be a valid # for him, as opposed to fake ones often sold so illegals can work but that add to some total stranger's SS account. If your client's name and old # do match in the SSA computer, then he doesn't need a new number issued. The extra fun you have being in CA or any border state.... Good luck. Let us know what you learn. And, I'll post again if my memory kicks in and I can locate a cite.

Comment

Lion,

I will ask this client how he knows this number is bogus. How these people do these things is beyond me. I don't know if he bought a card thinking it was legit or knew it was bogus. Sometimes, I'm too naive about things like this, too trusting, yet suspicious at the same time. I just don't think like this!!! Do they think they won't be found out?

Thanks for the help. If you find this info you were referring to, please pass it along.

What's wrong with the border states? Don't you want to move back? We have a lot of fun here!

Dennis

Comment

California

Actually, I do miss Santa Barbara. Although, our largest minorities were from Asia and western Europe and not Mexico and points south. But, my son was born in CT, and I met my second husband in CT, and his daughter was born here, and I've been here since 1978, so CT feels like home now. I sometimes miss Chicago, too, where I was born and raised for 22 years -- but don't miss the weather at all! I guess after the midwest, west, and northeast, I'll have to retire in the south. Let's see, Texas has no personal income tax....

Comment

Bogus SS

Dennis:

If you client's SS number is indeed bogus, what ever you do, dont use it on his return. If he is a citizen, have him go to a SS office and apply for a SS number. Check on line for the kind of documents (original) that he needs.

Fortunately, I tried efiling a return with a bogus SS number. It would not go through. Because the man was an undocumented immigrant, we filed for ITIN's for him and his family: wife and three children; one child being born here was a citizen with a valid SS number/ With these numbers he was able to get a refund plus CTC. When they do get SS numbers will go back and file with those numbers to get EIC. Plan for getting credit for previous years by using valid SSNs in the future.

You're right with border states we get many interesting clients. I really want to try and help those who are helping themselves make a better life here. A notary I took them to, wanted to know how long I had been doing this.

Comment

Ssn

Chief,

After posting yesterday, a friend sent an email and offered to help in this area. I have a call out to the client now and will try to find additional information and we'll go from there. He (client) told me the company moved to NYC, but believes they have the same name, but has no phone for them, but will try to track them down. From there, we'll find out if the number is bogus or not.

This could have been a misunderstanding on my part. I was under the impression that if I
            filled out the W-7 along with the return, client would be assigned a number and they could proceed from there. At this point, we'll have to see if we can locate the company then SSA.

Thanks for your help. Dennis

Comment

Working...
            X