Curious question on e-file

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Curious question on e-file

Does anyone know the reason we cannot e-file after October? I've wondered this for years and thought I would ask. I do a number of returns after the October deadline and it would be nice.

D

To venture a guess

Originally posted by DTS View Post
    Does anyone know the reason we cannot e-file after October? I've wondered this for years and thought I would ask. I do a number of returns after the October deadline and it would be nice.

D
    maybe because IRS has to start to commence to begin to prepare for the next year's filing season. That's about the time they start publishing the new schema for electronic formats.
    And changing them every two weeks.
    ChEAr$,
    Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

E-Filing Question

The IRS is like the army; You do as you're told. Don't ask questions just obey.

Comment

I'll

give you the same answer you've probably heard several times before. I have no idea.

But to venture a guess, I'd say Harlan's probably right -- the press of workload and needing that month and a half to get ready for next year seems the most likely answer.

Comment

Originally posted by ChEAr$ View Post
          maybe because IRS has to start to commence to begin to prepare for the next year's filing season. That's about the time they start publishing the new schema for electronic formats.
          And changing them every two weeks.
          Thanks, Harlan. It does make sense.

Just one of those weird things I think about from time to time (my head is full of them!).

D

Comment

next year, maybe

There is a new platform that is already being used for business returns (which is why we can efile business returns starting with 2006 even after the extension due dates).

The IRS is planning to implement the new platform for 1040 in the not too distant future. Last year they were saying it would be 2009 - this year they seem to have stopped saying that - just saying 'as soon as it can be implemented'. Once it is implemented, we will be able to file late returns and, I hear, amended returns as well.

Comment

yes, I hear the same

Originally posted by abby View Post
              There is a new platform that is already being used for business returns (which is why we can efile business returns starting with 2006 even after the extension due dates).

The IRS is planning to implement the new platform for 1040 in the not too distant future. Last year they were saying it would be 2009 - this year they seem to have stopped saying that - just saying 'as soon as it can be implemented'. Once it is implemented, we will be able to file late returns and, I hear, amended returns as well.
              And with the new 1040 filing schema, returns will be processed in something like 48 hours,
              thus speeding those refunds into clients' bank accounts. Or into bank accounts set up
              for clients by RAL facilitators and agitators.
              ChEAr$,
              Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Working...
              X