Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Closing a CA Corporation

Question for any one willing to answer:

I have helped my client start the process of closing their CA corporation with the secretary of state. He had officially closed the doors on 3/25/08, but has not filed with the SOS until now. So my question is the filing of form 966 and the Plan of Liquidation. Do we use the closing of the doors date of 3/25/08 or the effective date of the SOS having dissolved the corporation? We are not sure which the IRS looks to, the closing doors date or the SOS date. Also, I presume that the final tax filing of the corporation will occur 2 1/2 months after the SOS dissolves it date? Is this correct?

Thanks for your help regarding this matter.

RFK

dissolution

It doesn't cease to be a corporation until the certificate of dissolution is filed. The return due date would be 2-1/2 months later plus extensions.

However, there are certain legal requirements that have to be met, so it would be wise for the client to consult with an attorney on this, particularly if there are other stockholders.

Comment

Thanks ED

We discussed it with the SOS and they guided us through the process. It is a simple closing of the corporation.

Thus, I will wait for the dissolution and file Plan and form 966 with the final returns in 2 1/2 months after.

rfk

Comment

Working...
      X