IRS closes 46 offices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IRS closes 46 offices

Saw yesterday where IRS is closing 46 of its smaller offices to save money.

These would obviously be "field offices." These offices serve the public, but also are bases of operations for auditors. You remember auditors? -- those almost-obsolete people who got out in the community and actually did audits so people would be encouraged to be compliant.

I guess you don't need field offices any more if you
    a) don't care if the public gets served, or
    b) don't really want to pay auditors, preferring instead to send out CP notices which are fubar.

Any more information from some of you who may know what's going on?

Hope we can find a list of them soon.
    ChEAr$,
    Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

News Release says 43

News release by IRS on May 22 stated 43 offices (with more to be considered) would be closed.

According to their "official" release, none of these offices were walk-in help centers, and all of them employed 25 persons or less.

I've just got to wonder what kind of work was being performed in those offices, and like Harlan, where they are...

Comment

I am thinking I would rather deal with CP notices and submitting documentation with a phone interview and fax/mail followup than a grueling field audit or service center audit for 2 - 4 hours. So far my CP notices and phone followup/with mail/fax documentation, have resulted in "more timely" results to close the issues. I don't have many - but it has been less time for me and less stress.

Public Service - all leaning toward "internet" accessibility - our practices now might take on a new service, for those clients that do not have internet or understand what information is being furnished as "public"

If you notice, Work Comp audits are now being conducted with online, and via email fax, several Major Companies, don't even want to conduct a "physical audit" and go to the Biz Owner and spend a day or a 1/2 day. At the most what I have had is an "WC auditor" visit the place of operations for less than an hour (of course these are small biz - not major manufacturing, etc where there is a higher risk of WC injury)

Technology is changing the way "audits" are being conducted.

Sandy
        Last edited by S T; 06-20-2012, 07:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nashville View Post
          News release by IRS on May 22 stated 43 offices (with more to be considered) would be closed.

According to their "official" release, none of these offices were walk-in help centers, and all of them employed 25 persons or less.

I've just got to wonder what kind of work was being performed in those offices, and like Harlan, where they are...
          Based upon the stated fact that the offices were not walk-in help centers, it seems that the offices had to be paperwork handling mini-campuses and/or auditor bases. Maybe they wanted to consolidate the paperwork handling centers, or maybe they accept the idea that taxpayers will have to travel a longer distance for whatever audits will still be office audits.

I once represented a client in an office audit at a suburban office park (Walnut Creek, CA) which seemed more convenient for both the IRS workers and for the taxpayers. If that office were closed, the consequence would simply be that the IRS workers and the taxpayers would have to go ride the rapid transit trains to the Federal Building skyscraper (Oakland, CA). That office, however, did have a walk-in help center; I even waited in the lobby of the walk-in help center since I had arrived somewhat early for the audit. One facet to consider is that security if any was less overt; the auditor simply met me by the stairway once I phoned her, whereas the guards and security inspection at the Federal Building are much more rigorous.

Comment

Originally posted by S T View Post
            I am thinking I would rather deal with CP notices and submitting documentation with a phone interview and fax/mail followup than a grueling field audit or service center audit for 2 - 4 hours. So far my CP notices and phone followup/with mail/fax documentation, have resulted in "more timely" results to close the issues. I don't have many - but it has been less time for me and less stress.

Public Service - all leaning toward "internet" accessibility - our practices now might take on a new service, for those clients that do not have internet or understand what information is being furnished as "public"

If you notice, Work Comp audits are now being conducted with online, and via email fax, several Major Companies, don't even want to conduct a "physical audit" and go to the Biz Owner and spend a day or a 1/2 day. At the most what I have had is an "WC auditor" visit the place of operations for less than an hour (of course these are small biz - not major manufacturing, etc where there is a higher risk of WC injury)

Technology is changing the way "audits" are being conducted.

Sandy
            Yeah, I'm kinda leaning towards this as well. Technology is changing the way we do business. It has in my practice over the last 10 years.

With that said, I still conduct field audits in my office and in the local RO's office and don't mind those either. I have good relationships with local collection and examination revenue officers and kinda enjoy the interaction from time to time.

Comment

I'm with KZ and kpangelinan on this too. As big of a pain as the CP2000 and correspondence audits are I'm tired of IRS agents setting up camp in my office and making a career out of what should be a 1 day audit.
              In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
              Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

Working...
              X