Efiled the 17th and rejected

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Efiled the 17th and rejected

I sent a return on the 17th that had an extension, I checked it yesterday morning and was sill being processed, then was out of the office until this morning and find that it was rejected. What can I do so these people don't have a filing late penalty?

rejected

Correct the problem and refile.I think you have 48hrs to fix reject no penalty

Comment

Repair and send

If it's fixable (typo, name, or whatever) you have a window of opportunity to retransmit and your filing is still considered timely.

OTOH, if it's a fatal error (such as someone has already claimed a legitimate dependent) then you are stuck with paper filing. I would likely attach a brief explanation, including the rejection code(s), and mail it in with the paper return.

Whether you are technically in violation of late filing under such circumstances is a question someone else would have to address. I've always left myself some "space" at filing time, so if a problem arises I have sufficient time to react. Such was the case with a complicated return that could not be efiled (employer EIN problems on W2) and a very large package of printed material was FedEx'ed to the client far away.

FE

Comment

It's saying dependat ss # mismatch, thinking I did a typo, will call client ASAP.

Comment

Originally posted by Super Mom View Post
          It's saying dependat ss # mismatch, thinking I did a typo, will call client ASAP.
          State was accepted though!!

Comment

reject

State does not check dependent name and SS #

Comment

Rejects

An e-newsletter from my software:

Timely Filed:

To be timely filed, CCH must receive your returns by 11:59 p.m. in your local time zone, Monday, October 17, 2011.

Rejected Returns:

If the IRS rejects any of your returns, you have three calendar days to resubmit the returns and obtain approval from the IRS. If your returns continue to get rejected up to October 20, 2011, you will have five days to paper file the return.

Rejected Federal-Only Returns or Federal with Independent State Returns:

We recommend retransmitting federal-only returns or returns containing only one of the following states (California, Illinois, Maine, Massachusetts, and Minnesota), and no other states, to ProSystem fx no later than 8:00 a.m. Central Daylight Time on October 20, 2011, to ensure timely filing with the IRS.

Rejected State Returns:

To ensure acknowledgment receipt for state returns, all state returns must be retransmitted to the IRS no later than noon on October 19 to allow the states sufficient time to prepare their acknowledgement files for delivery to the IRS. To meet this deadline, returns containing states must be received by ProSystem fx prior to 8:00 a.m. Central Daylight Time on October 19, 2011.

Please review your e-file status under Not Accepted/All to verify all returns have been transmitted and are accepted prior to 8:00 a.m. Central Daylight Time on October 20, 2011.

Returns Affected by Hurricane Irene, Tropical Storm Lee and Texas Wildfires:

The IRS has also granted filing extensions due to the Tropical Storms Irene, Lee and the Texas wildfires. If your returns qualify for the extension these must be transmitted no later than 8:00 a.m. Central Daylight Time on October 31, 2011, to ensure timely filing with the IRS.

If the IRS rejects any of these returns up to October 31, 2011, you have five calendar days to paper file the return.

Comment

I had one reject this season and it came on the 17th. Fixed it, resubmitted on the 18th and it was accepted yesterday.

Comment

Working...
                X