Direct Deposits BLOCKED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Direct Deposits BLOCKED

My tax software (remaining nameless at this point) will NOT allow a Direct Deposit (NO bank product used on the tax return) into a specific bank RTN (again the Bank will remain nameless) that software company has BLOCKED? Try explaining THAT to an unsophisticated tax client! Is that even legal? I guess I will be looking for NEW software next year!

Have you contacted the software company

to be sure that the problem is not due to operator error including but not limited to mistyping of the RTN or even the wrong RTN on the check nor due to a glitch in your software? If this really is willful behavior on the part of your software company I would indeed like to know who you are dealing with.

Comment

Originally posted by erchess View Post
      to be sure that the problem is not due to operator error including but not limited to mistyping of the RTN or even the wrong RTN on the check nor due to a glitch in your software? If this really is willful behavior on the part of your software company I would indeed like to know who you are dealing with.
      Could it be a 'payable through' and you need a different RTN?

Comment

I've seen it where the bank has one RTN for the checks but a totally separate RTN for allowing deposits. We were able to look at a deposit slip versus a check from the checkbook of the customer and it had different RTN numbers.

The other cause, perhaps the RTN is invalid? They have a check digit in those so if it's not a valid RTN it should fail the check digit check and any decent software would kick it out as not valid.

http://www.bankersonline.com/operati...op032105j.html has the calculations for the check digit.

Comment

Rtn

I've seen deposit tickets with routing numbers for internally getting to the right branch, and not usable as RTN to get the money from outside to the bank. Also, I've seen brokerages and credit unions who have banks clear their direct deposits, so the number on the share draft is not the one to be used. And, savings account linked to checking, but with separate numbers. So, do check with the bank on what numbers to use for this purpose. And, then check with your software. Good luck. And, keep us posted.

Comment

You have to use a check to get the RTN and account #...not the deposit slip
            Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Call the bank and ask for their routing number for IRS direct depost. I maintain a list of a couple dozen different banks and update it before every season. It's the only was to be accurate. Some of the banks don't even use the numbers on the checks. Some want all the 0's in the account numbers and some don't.
              Sandy >^..^<

Comment

All states available free PDF download

Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Luke, now it makes sense. I was reading on the TAxwise bbs about this, but I responded there that or software may not unilaterally block any direct deposits, since the OP has mentioned that in her post.

So now it seems that what she was really saying is that the RTN has been taken maybe off the deposit slip and was not the real RTN of the bank.

After all, I've never had any problems using the correct RTN.
                  ChEAr$,
                  Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Always use the RTN from a check

Some banks have different RTN's for deposit slips.

Made that mistake. ONCE!

Got a real education, real quick.

Now I use only checks for the information. And I copy that check for my file.

Wells Fargo Bank is one bank that uses a different RTN for the deposit slips.
                    Jiggers, EA

Comment

Deposit Slips

Bank of America also uses a different RTN on their deposit slips.

Sandy

Comment

The RTN has a check digit as part of the 9 digit number and the other 8 numbers are processed in a special formula and the result is compared to the check digit and if it does not match, then it is not a valid RTN number

Comment

I had a client tell me she had the correct RTN, it did not look right, she had it on a piece of paper. I had her call the bank. I was right, the RTN was one that was used (she mentioned a name I can't remember it) bank to bank transfers. I am fortunate that I live in a small town, and although I don't have a list I recognize most of the RTN when I see them.

Also I found out that when the deposit slip is different (usually with Credit Unions), it is an in-house RTN, not to be used by anyone else.

Comment

RTN is CORRECT

As a matter of fact it is the SAME RTN that was used to direct deposit 2008 refund - client CALLED the bank and was given the SAME rtn that we used.
                            The msg from tax software is "The RTN listed on the Main Information Sheet is for a bank we do not support. Please visit our support site for a list of approved banks (349)"
                            From the "Knowledge Base" search - "This problem can occur when you are attempting to use an RTN from a third-party bank, such as Refund Advantage, that is not supported by your program......" NOTE: If your client has elected to obtain their refund by direct deposit and their checking account is with a Refunds Advantage bank/branch, they will not be able to use direct deposit when transmitting with our program. They must select a different refund option or an alternate account with a different bank"

I will be happy to name the tax software privately (not on msg board)!

Comment

TaxWise is the Software Blocking Routing Numbers

Taxwise put a block on Refund-Advantage's Bank (Ohio Valley) routing number on Jan. 4th. They did this to force Taxwise users to use one of their authorized banking partners (SBBT, Republic, Chase, and River City). Taxwise charges a $10 transmission fee and a $15 to $21 Bank Technology fee on every bank product. If Taxwise users use any other Bank to fund their bank products, then Taxwise would not get these fees. This has alienated many loyal Taxwise users who will likely be looking for a new software company next year. As a result, any client of Ohio Valley bank cannot get a Direct Deposit thru Taxwise since the routing number is blocked.

Hopefully CCH and Taxwise will reconsider this position and not block competitor banks next year.

Comment

Working...
                              X