Charitable events

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charitable events

How are the costs of organizing a charitable event handled, as a cash contribution as stated in TTB? And, is there any special documentation needed from the org that the event is being held for that you were, in fact, the organizer?

Thank you,

D

Charity

Wouldn't the Charity pay all the bills? They would get sales tax relief in CT. And, if you wanted to provide seed money to set up the benefit, you'd make a donation to the charity and receive their usual thank you letter stating no tangible benefits, blah, blah.

Comment

Lion

The client asked me about expenses for "hosting" a few (5) events and how to account for them. I gathered from this that she would be paying these expenses.

After the new year, I'll see what kind of arrangement she has with the various charities, if any.

D

Comment

Donation

Well, I guess if she saved her receipts and has a letter from the charity accepting her gifts in kind.... Only her out-of-pocket expenses, not her time nor value of her venue nor items purchased which she retained use of after the event. Better suggest she make sure she and the charity see her duties the same way and have some type of written understanding in place. I'd still be more comfortable if the charity paid and your client donated to the charity. But, they don't ask us before, do they?! They come to us to fix things after.

Happy New Year. Steve just brought home Chinese food from a good place; now we'll order a couple of movies on Optimum TV and pop the cork on the bubbly.

Comment

Lion

Thank you for the confirmation. I figured as much, but wanted to make sure.

Happy New Year to you, as well. Movies and leftovers here. Both of us stocked up yesterday (not knowing the other was going to the store), so plenty to enjoy tonight. My better half will be working a bit late tonight, of all nights, and I'm anxious for her to get home.

D

Comment

Working...
          X